Tiger Cafe     
    

Saturday, July 12, 2003


Unexpected High School Reunion (Ouch)

Saw Mark's horror movie Claustrophobia last night. Didn't find it that scary (sorry, Mark!)

The really scary thing was meeting, besides Mark, three other people I knew in high school! All of them, including Mark, are some years older than I. One guy used to hang out with Mark in junior high and high school. He still seemed to talk the same, counterculture way. He was one of the first computer geeks I ever knew. Another guy, the Jewish competitive lawyer overachiever type who used to do Speech and Debate competitions with me, was there with his black wife. I also knew him at Berkeley my freshman year. A blonde girl, who used to be one of our cheerleaders, was there with her man. Her blonde hair was cropped short and I just did not recognize her until she shouted "Raymond!"

What was amazing was how physically some had changed. Mark and I were the only skinny people in that group. The others had all grown...ehem...they had grown!

I talked to Sandy about this last night. Sandy had gone shopping with me in San Francisco last Sunday, and I had finally visited her cute place she shares with Brent. I do have one Japanese guy friend in Niigata, from Berkeley, who (from a more recent wedding photo) has grown...fat. But for the most part, the Asians I knew from high school don't look SO much different physically now. People still tell me I look like an undergrad.

It must be my Asian genes and all those years of broccoli and bok choy. In fact, recently, I've actually LOST weight without really trying. I'm about 10 pounds lighter than a few months ago, due to me eating less, playing tennis thrice a week, and rollerblading. Next week I'll start swimming a few times a week again. God, do I miss swimming. Last summer I swam thrice a week, 30-50 laps each day. I get in a trance when I swim long distances. I feel so relaxed.

Can someone please make a graph of how the white people you knew from high school change physically vs. the Asians? Gulp.


Home