Tiger Cafe     
    

Thursday, July 17, 2003


Aww, my buddy Ellen in Manila is blogging again! Welcome back, sweetie.

Friendster (Social Trends)

Six Degrees of Procrastination: Why is everyone you know on Friendster? (Slate).

Six Degrees of Lois Weisberg: She's a grandmother, she lives in a big house in Chicago, and you've never heard of her. Does she run the world? (New Yorker).

Haha! I loved these two articles about Friendster and social networks. People like Christine actually first added me as a friend, then removed her account completely, saying that she felt uncomfortable with everyone and his grandma knowing whom were her friends. Some of my best friends have continually refused to join. My testimonials are all by people who either barely know me or have never met me.

Have any long-lost people in my life actually said hi to me? Maybe a couple, if one or two years absence is considered "long-lost." After a "hi" and "will you add me as your friend?" they vanish into thin air again. I don't really expect to see them again.

Some people from Rice Bowl Journals seem to ONLY have friends from Rice Bowl Journals. This basically means they make the best friends with people they've never met---a testament to their social skills. Or it could mean they are surfing the Net from a prison cell in Texas.

To me, the only practical value in Friendster so far is to see how much fun I've seemed to miss and how many parties to which I've never been invited. And to those eager beavers who all seem to have over 100 friends, I say: "Yeah right! You're either a hot chick that guys have only seen in dark clubs, or you're a guy who lives in dark clubs."


Home