Tiger Cafe     
    

Friday, May 30, 2003


Bob Hope's 100th Birthday (Comedy)

Happy Birthday, Bob! The legendary comedian had his 100th birthday yesterday. He is in the Guinness Book of Records as "most honored entertainer in the world." I like his old "The Road" movies with Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour. He's also well-loved for entertaining U.S. troops during both World War II and the Vietnam War. He'd travel to the Philippines when Gen. MacArthur was there with Dorothy and others on his comedy team, in the humid midst of fighting, and get all the G.I.'s whistling and pounding their feet.

Interview with Bob Hope (1986), NPR.

Here's a great Library of Congress site about Bob Hope.

Transcript of a Hope radio show from the Hollywood Canteen, with its head, actress Bette Davis. She helped found the Hollywood Canteen in World War II to give soldiers free food and entertainment and a chance to meet stars.

Everything I Know About Selling I Learned from Bob Hope: "I was a script writer for Bob Hope and worked with him almost daily between 1977 and 1992 and during that time I observed him in countless situations doing what he knew best --- SELLING BOB HOPE."

From National Public Radio, check out Comedy College: Lessons in Laughter. Hosted by Steve Martin, Rita Rudner, Bob Newhart, and Lily Tomlin, "Comedy College is first and foremost a comedy show. It’s about the comedy. It’s about the unedited presentation of complete works: full episodes of old radio shows, entire live stage performances, and uninterrupted improvisational sketches and scripted routines." Under "Past Shows," you can hear several of the old masters' comedy routines over the Net.


Home