Tiger Cafe     
    

Wednesday, January 29, 2003


CNETRadio.com. Telemarketers Sue the U.S. Government Over Do-Not-Call Lists

Too bad. CNET Radio 910 AM will be ending operations January 31 and moving to digital audio and web broadcasts. Wasn't profitable enough.

I've been listening to CNET Radio. This is a hip radio station that covers technology and business all day, and I LOVE the David Lawrence show and his nightly show, Online Tonight.. He's very funny and witty. I learned a lot just from listening for one hour! Very useful stuff to know for all of you at technology companies. Also, other great hosts like Rob Black talk stocks.

You may listen to CNET Radio online too---either old programs, or live on the web (Click "Listen Live Now!")

In the Bay Area, it's 910 AM on the radio.
_______________
Anyway, I have been extremely fed up with telemarketers. Now I usually wait for the long tell-tale pause after I say "hello" and just hang up. Or if I'm nicer, I ask them how they got my number and tell them to remove me from their phone list.

I just moved to this new house a few weeks ago and just set up phone service, so I was blissfully call-free for two weeks, until---yesterday! What the hell??? I got at least 2-3 calls today. At my old place, I was getting at least 2-3 calls a DAY from damned telemarketers. My FRIENDS don't even know my new number. Today the lady told me that my Visa or Mastercard company had entered my name in a sweepstakes, and THAT'S how they got my number.

DAMN the credit card companies. I'm calling mine tomorrow and asking them to remove me and my number from all lists. Telemarketers are required by LAW to remove you from their phone lists if you ask them. Did you know that? I don't think your name gets removed, though. You get put on a do-not-call list.

Well CNET Radio just reported this stupid, stupid news:

Telemarketers Sue to Stop Do-Not-Call List (Reuters):
__________________________
Telemarketers went to court on Wednesday in an attempt to stop the U.S. government from setting up a proposed "do not call" list that would help consumers block unwanted sales calls.

Four telemarketing companies and a trade group filed suit in federal court in Oklahoma City to stop the Federal Trade Commission from setting up a program that would allow consumers to place their names on a list of households that do not want to receive such calls [called the FTC Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR).]

Telemarketers who ignore the FTC's list would face fines of up to $11,000. Callers for charities and political groups would be exempt.

The FTC's proposal, which could be up and running as early as August, has won unprecedented support from consumers who have swamped the agency with more than 50,000 letters of support.

But telemarketers say 27 existing state do-not-call lists and a voluntary national list run by the Direct Marketing Association trade group should provide consumers enough protection.

In the suit, the DMA and four telemarketing firms said the FTC's effort would violate free-speech laws and discriminate against an industry that provides millions of jobs.

"The FTC is singling out this form of advertising now, what will be next?" said DMA President Robert Weintzen in a prepared statement.
__________________________
Oh pleeeze. What the hell is the Direct Marketing Association doing suing the FTC? I thought the DMA was the "good guy" for providing a national do-not-call list already. I am disappointed. I wonder if the DMA is using all those names and addresses people are sending them, intended to get OFF of telemarketing lists, for some other marketing purpose after all!


Home