Tiger Cafe     
    

Sunday, January 19, 2003


Calling it quits

I have been wrestling with this decision for a few weeks now, but I'm just now getting around to taking some action. (That should give you an indication of how hectic my life has been lately). After a lot of thought and consideration I have decided that I am going to resign as a co-writer for Tiger Cafe.

When I first signed on here I was really enthusiastic about the opportunity because there were tons of other talented co-writers here, and I would have an opportunity to give greater visibility to my writing. I think it worked fairly well for a while but at some point it stopped feeling like something fun and started feeling more like work or an obligation that went on my lengthy "to-do" list each week. So what it basically comes down to is that I haven't had enough time to make writing here a priority. Since I know Raymond likes to have everyone write about once a week I started feeling guilty when weeks would go by or when the week would be drawing to a close and I couldn't think of anything interesting to write about or even worse didn't have time to write.

What's going on? Well a lot actually.
  • Finalizing May 10th wedding plans. We had most of the major things taken care of but its the details that kill you. The next few months are going to be a little stressful for both of us. My current stance on marriage: alope if at all possible!

  • Work. As usual work has been really hectic of late. I have been working hard to get this project I'm working on delivered as well as trying to study for my Siebel certification in the evenings. I'm supposed to take the exam Jan 30th.

  • Future Planning. If anyone has been keeping up with Mona they'll know that she is planning on going back to school for photography in the fall of '03. Not only that but we will be moving to San Francisco as well after the wedding. Just trying to get everything lined up to make that successful has been a major headache for me in a lot of ways so far, and will continue to be for some time to come. Admission, selling our stuff, finding housing, etc.

  • Website stuff. Recently I came to the realization that hosting our wedding website on my home computer connected to the internet with a cable modem was a woefully inadequate solution. I didn't run into bandwidth problems, but rather too many users connecting at once causing the server to be down for some users. My fear was that when our guests went to RSVP online the site would be unavailable or too busy and they would get frustrated and say to hell with it. So I signed up with a hosting provider and am in the process of converting all my ASP scripts to PHP (and learning PHP at the same time) so we won't have these problems. I'm also trying to correct a few design mistakes along the way. All in all a gargantuan task.


  • So, given all those things I just don't think I have time to devote myself to writing anything of any quality for Tiger Cafe at this point. I do plan to keep up with everyone here and comment on the posts as I see fit. I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for reading my stuff and taking the opportunity to get to know me a little. I'm certain Raymond and I will keep in touch so I won't be dropping off the face of the planet or anything; I may even ask to come back at some point. Hopefully the invitation will be open if my life calms down anytime soon.

    I wish you all the best. Take care!


    Home