| Tiger Cafe | ||
Best | Links to Me | Blog News Links |
|
Home | Older pages
Med|Politics|Biotech|CS
Medicine
WebPath: Pathology
San Francisco Bay AreaPathology Links Medical Dictionary Clinical Pharm Review Drug Info Resources Medical Pharmacology Pharmacology Notebook Ron Rinehart's Drugs Page Tortora, Anatomy Cell Biology Book GASNet Anesthesiology Medical Biochemistry Medilexicon Metabolic Pathways, Biochem Microbiology Book Molec. Bio Guide Virtual Anesthesiology Textbook Free Medical Journals JAMA NEJM Anesthesiology Anesthesia & Analgesia Autopsy Report CRNA at Georgetown blog CRNA at USC blog DB's Medical Rants Interns' Diary MDapplicants.com Medlogs.com Non-Traditional Student Dr Jrnls RangelMD.com SOAP Notes: Natalie's Diary (Surgeon) Student Doctor Network Am. Soc. of Anesthesiologists CDC Duke PA Program Alumni Emerging Infectious Diseases Dr. Eugene Stead Free Medical Journals Harvard World Health News Medical Economics Medscape NCAHF NOVA (PBS) Occupational Outlook Handbook Physician Assistant World Primary Care Guide Quackwatch ScienceDaily Science Online Scientific American The Skeptic's Dictionary WHO Yahoo! Health News
Prof. Brad DeLong (Berkeley)
Asia/OceaniaCraig (founder of Craigslist) Duke (Oakland) Eric (SF) FitsandStarts (UCSF)* In Passing... (Berkeley) Prof. Larry Lessig (Stanford) Que Sera Sera SF Bay Area Journals SF Bay Bloggers Tessa
Alaysia (Sydney)
CanadaChina Blogs Christina1/C2/C3 (Nanjing) Ellen (Manila) John (Hangzhou) Kim Jong-Il (N. Korea) Patrick (Beijing) Unica Hija/Top 10 (Manila) Europe/Middle East
Emily (London)
MidwestJoyce (UK) Osama Bin Laden Saddam Hussein Stuart Hughes (BBC) (London) Supermodels/SALTYT (Paris) NY/DC/New England
All2Swift (Yale)
South/SouthwestBazima (NYC) Edie, dating blog (NYC) Gawker (NYC) Gothamist (NYC) Halley (Boston) Harvard Weblogs Jeff (New Jersey) Joe (Charlottesville, VA)* Josh/Cyan Pictures (NYC) Julie (cooking blog) (NYC) Prof. Paul Krugman (Princeton) Phineas (NYC)* Thea (Dartmouth) Ze's Blog (NYC) Southern California
Anna (San Diego)
OtherBich Ngoc (LA) Bill (LA) Charlie (San Diego) Jason (LA) Kaila1/Kaila2 (LA) Mark Kines (LA) Pamie (LA) Peggy (Orange County) Wil Wheaton (LA)
Best of Craigslist
NewsBreakup Girl Bunnie Damn Hell Ass Kings FuckedCompany HowStuffWorks Internalmemos Kuro5hin.org Mark Cuban Blog Metafilter PickUpYourOWNDamnSocks! Rabbit Blog Technorati Technorati Profile True Porn Clerk Stories
Salon.com
PoliticsYahoo! Full Coverage Google News New York Times Charlie Rose ![]() Commonwealth Club ![]() Conversations w/ History (Berkeley)Council on Foreign Relations C-SPAN ![]() Frontline (PBS) ![]() National Public Radio (NPR) NewsHour (PBS) ![]() NOVA (PBS) ![]() Rice Univ. Webcasts ![]() World Affairs Council ![]() Agence France-Presse AlterNet Ananova Asia Times Online Associated Press Atlantic Monthly BBC News Brookings Institution Business 2.0 BusinessWeek CBS MarketWatch CNN CNN/Money Council on Foreign Relations The Economist Financial Times Forbes Foreign Affairs Fortune Globe and Mail The Guardian/The Observer The Guardian Weblog Inc The Independent Investor's Business Daily Le Monde diplomatique Los Angeles Times Mother Jones New Yorker NY Times Magazine New York Review of Books Newsweek NOW Bill Moyers Poynter Reuters San Francisco Chronicle San Jose Mercury News Scientific American Slate South China Morning Post Time The Times Wall St. Journal OpinionJournal United Nations News United Press International U.S. Congress (THOMAS) U.S. State Department Washington Monthly Washington Post Wired World Sex News Yahoo! Finance Yahoo! News YaleGlobal
Adam Felber
EntertainmentAir America Radio ![]() Daily Kos Eric Alterman Eschaton The Gadflyer Howard Dean John Kerry Michael Moore MoveOn.org PollingReport Scott Rosenberg (SF) This Modern World Whitehouse.org
Metacritic
SoftwareOnline Film Critics Society Yummy Women Yahoo! Movies AskMen.com AtomFilms Crime Library Daily Show Jon Stewart ![]() David Letterman ![]() Drew's Script-O-Rama Eric Conveys an Emotion Esquire Great American Speeches Greg (movie making) Hollywood Reporter Hong Kong Entertainment How to Write Drama IFilm Joe Frank ![]() Loveline (Adam & Dr. Drew) movieblog The Onion Roger Avary (film blog) SalsaCrazy Screenwriting (Daniel Knauf) Screenwriters Utopia The Smoking Gun Stupid Movie Physics Supermodels (SALTYT) Television Without Pity Tom Cruise|TC 2 Variety View Askew (Kevin Smith) Virtual Producer Ze's Page
OraclePower Tutorials
BiotechEverything Oracle dBforums Oracle Mag Oracle Tech Network VisualRoute (traceroute) Microsoft Developer Network Microsoft .NET Sun Java Page Sun Java Documentation Java Dev. Journal Alan Williamson (JDJ editor) Dave Winer Prof. David Eppstein Prof. Jon Pearce M. Fowler (Refactoring) Computerworld Discuss.Develop.com Game Programming IBM alphaWorks IBM developerWorks Mathtools.net OpenGL Robocode (IBM, Java) Slashdot TopCoder W3C Activities W3Schools Tutorials Webmonkey
NCBI
Bioinformatics.Org Bay Area Bioinf Disc Gp O'Reilly Bioinf Stanford Guide to Bioinf Bioinf Courses (BioTech) Google Bioinformatics Google Bioinf Journals Google Medical Inf Intl Soc Comp Bio Science Online Public Lib. of Sci Bio S*Star Online Lectures Stanford Comp. Molec Bio Stanford Comp. Genomics Stanford Microarray DB UCSC Bioinformatics * New links |
Thursday, October 10, 2002
Aaron Sorkin Interview
Fast-talking Aaron Sorkin recently came on Charlie Rose, my favorite interview show on TV, period. (I wrote here about my love for Charlie Rose.) If you are curious about writing solid gold drama for TV or movies, study him. He is a master at writing vivid, highly intelligent, ripped-from-the-headlines dialogue. For me, he's a writing god. He created the Emmy-winning TV show, The West Wing, and wrote the excellent screenplays for A Few Good Men (read it) and The American President (read it). __________________ Profile of Sorkin (Seattle Post-Intelligencer, March 7, 2000): "Someone accused me of writing as if I'm perpetually on a first date with a girl I really want to have a second date with," Sorkin says. He doesn't dispute it. Both "Sports Night" and "The West Wing" have an ingratiating eagerness that's not unlike a splash of Hai Karate: A little goes a long way. "For me, the (writing) experience is very much like a date," Sorkin says. "It's not unusual that I'm really funny here and really smart here and maybe showing some anger over here so she sees maybe I have this dark side. I want it to have been worth it for everyone to sit through it for however long I ask them to."... [Sorkin] smokes cigarettes as fast as he talks and has the overall demeanor of someone on the Juan Valdez All-Caffeine Diet. But you'd be buzzed too if you were the main man, the principal writer, on two network TV shows. For those keeping score, that's 44 episodes in a span of 36 weeks, September to May. The only other person doing that right now is David E. Kelley, with "The Practice" and "Ally McBeal." Last summer, Sorkin said he spoke with Kelley and learned that Kelley is a Zenlike master of personal discipline. Sorkin recalls, "He said, 'Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I write 'Ally McBeal,' Thursday, Friday, Saturday I write 'The Practice,' Sunday I'm with my wife and kids.' And I thought, I have a real schedule, too. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I freak out cuz I haven't thought of what next week's show is. Thursday I start yelling at people because I haven't thought of what next week's show is. Friday I go, 'Ohmigod, there's going to be a half hour of dead air on ABC next week,' and then it finally gets done." __________________ Interview with him on the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. Listen to his Charlie Rose interview. (RealPlayer) He discusses how he can write fake intelligent-sounding talk about stuff he knows little about! Talks about his drug arrest at the airport.
From transcript of Charlie Rose interview (October 2, 2002): __________________ Charlie Rose: Can you argue to your motion picture brethren that there's every bit as good a writing on television today in the best dramas than there is in film? Aaron Sorkin: I would take myself out of the equation, because I'm biased, and tell you that my motion picture brethren by and large would have no argument with that statement. That certainly recently, while the quality of television has really gone up, something's happened to movies. We can all list the exceptions. There have been terrific films this year and last year and the year before. But the more studios depend on the opening weekend being everything, the less it becomes important to have a good movie; what you need is a good ad campaign. And that's what I think, what we're seeing more of these days.... CR: You started out as a playwright. AS: Yeah, I still am. CR: There was something even before "A Few Good Men." AS: I had this one act in a basement here in town that got a lot of attention. And then "A Few Good Men" and another play. But it was "A Few Good Men" that took me to Hollywood to do the screenplay adaptation, and I was just going to stay there for ten minutes while I did the screenplay adaptation, but I stayed there for that and another movie and another movie after that. And then two TV series--there was one before this called "Sports Night." CR: Good writing again. AS: Thanks very much. I love movies because they're big and they're American, and they're two hours and twenty minutes long-- CR: "The American President" was a big movie. AS: Right. There are no commercials, and you have the entire language available to you, which is what's nice about them. What's nice about television is that you have a continuing relationship with the thing that you write. You know, with a movie, you're done writing the screenplay and you kind of--you're not really necessary on the set, but you hang out there anyway cause you can't tear yourself away, so you eat a lot of donuts at craft service and then it's another three months in post-production. You enjoy the milk and cookies during premiere week and, you know, then it's done. And with this--What this is is summer stock with a lot of money.... CR: Okay, well, I want to get at one of those at least. Okay, it is this notion that you wrote "A Few Good Men;" you are not a 50-year-old ex-Marine. People see you write about things and it's almost things that you're not that interested in, but you can infuse them with a powerful sense of reality and powerful writing that makes the lines, you know, stand up and shout. AS: Yeah. CR: Now, what's that about? I mean, that was one point that seemed to me to have some reality. Does it or not? AS: It does. There's a bit of a Chauncey Gardner thing going on with me, I think, and it's--When I was ramping up to my thirteenth birthday--believe me, I'm not going to drag you through my entire life here--I have no religious training at all; I'm Jewish but never went to Hebrew school. But in the seventh grade, nearly every Saturday I was going to a friend's bar mitzvah. And I was just beginning to develop kind of my love of theatre. And this was great theatre. These people were up there, and there was a robe, and they were singing and speaking, and there was an audience, and they were getting--you get a pat on the back. So it's about six weeks before my birthday where there was just going to be, you know, the boys in my family had big parties on their thirteenth birthday. And I opened up a local phone book and called a local rabbi and said, "Rabbi, I'm going to be thirteen in six weeks, so I want you to teach me the Torah." He said, "It's going to take me a lot more than six weeks." And I said, "No, no, no. You don't understand, If you just say it into a tape recorder, I've got a very good ear, and I can learn it phonetically." And he pointed out that's hardly the reason for doing it. CR: Good for him. AS: And I'm mentioning this because I grew up surrounded by people a lot smarter than I am. Whether it was-- CR: Are you sure? AS: I'm certain. Whether it was at my dinner table or at a poker game--my friends. CR: You were the least smart person in the room? AS: By far. I was the person terribly interested in doing the drama club productions. These were all the people headed for Harvard and Yale and Princeton. And have since graduated from there and have gone on to do extraordinary things. CR: They've gone on to work for you is where it's going. AS: And I, just like with learning the Torah phonetically, I began to just learn the sound of intelligence, what that sounded like. CR: This is great. AS: And that's how I would write. This is happening that I'm developing-- CR: So you actually learned the courtroom drama from the idea of how--? AS: Well, with the courtroom drama with "A Few Good Men," I had a small window in. My sister at the time was a lawyer with the Navy Judge Advocate General's court. So I'd ask her to give me things, to give me pamphlets--nothing confidential at all. To give me any pieces of paper that had the jargon of this place on it. And I would really start to fall in love with phrases and the sound of things, and I'd want to put this into the scene. I also loved, from a very young age--my parents took me to the theatre all the time when I was a little kid. And they took me--They didn't take me to little kid plays; they took me to plays I had no business being at, like "Championship Season" when I was eleven years old, "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" when I was twelve. And I didn't-- CR: Those are pretty good plays. AS: Those are great plays. CR: A couple of Pulitzer Prizes, I think. AS: Yes, but an eleven-year-old doesn't know what "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" is about. But what I loved was the sound of dialogue; it was like symphony music to me. It was just terrific. And I wanted to make that. And so I phonetically create the sound on "The West Wing" of people who are much more politically sophisticated than I am. I look for a point of friction. You've got to have--for drama, two people have to disagree on something--and I--- CR: But do you know politics? AS: No. No, I don't know politics at all. CR: Do you watch poliltics? I mean, have you ever seen C-SPAN? AS: Oh, sure, sure. And I watch--there are shows that I think are terrific, like "Crossfire" and "The Capital Gang" and all those shows because they're-- CR: Bill O'Reilly. AS: Yeah. They're drama. People are disagreeing, and it's interesting to me. And when people are talking about something, it isn't so much their position that I'm trying to imitate as the way they're presenting it. I'm just trying to phonetically recreate the sound of political sophistication and knowing what you're talking about. And oftentimes in things that I've written, whether it's "A Few Good Men" or I wrote a movie called "Malice" or "The American President" or "Sports Night" or "The West Wing," there'll be a quick passage that will go by and somebody--the studio or the producer--someone will say, "Gee, no one's going to know what these two people are talking about." I'll say, "It's not actually important that they do. What's important is that the audience say, 'Wow! These guys really know what they're talking about. That's interesting.'" And that's what I try to do.
|