Tiger Cafe     
    

Friday, September 06, 2002


Summer Movie Extravaganza: "This is the Summer Movie Extravaganza. Throughout the summer of 2002 I will be watching every major film that is released and any minor films that pique my interest. I'm not doing this to get recognized or even to hone my writing skills, but simply because I love movies and I don't foresee another opportunity like this one in the near future. How often will I stumble across money and have a great deal of time on my hands? Exactly."

Annie Hall (1977)

Psychiatrist: "Do you have sex often?"
Alvy: "Hardly ever. Maybe three times a week."
Annie: "Constantly. I'd say three times a week."
- Annie Hall

Saw one of the greatest movies of Woody Allen's career, Annie Hall. It won the Oscar for Best Picture in 1977 and just touches you so privately, so truthfully, that you wonder if Woody was watching you when no one was looking. Diane Keaton won the Oscar for Best Actress.

It's the best and most truthful movie I've ever seen about relationships, covering the bittersweetness of how we can fall in and out of love with someone. How, imperceptibly but surely, we lose that grip on our partner's imagination as they do on ours. It's doubly autobiographical, for Woody had been in a long relationship with his costar, Diane Keaton, and they were breaking up at the time. Annie Hall tells a thinly disguised story of their real-life breakup. Imagine the pain both of them went through to relive it in its vivid honesty. (Diane Keaton was actually born "Diane Hall," and "Annie" was her nickname.)

Unica Hija, if you loved When Harry Met Sally, you will LOVE this. That later movie (and others) borrowed many of Woody's fresh ideas from Annie Hall. His wrote the story in a very nonlinear way. He mixed various genres and styles of camera play, from talking directly to the camera, to having his characters leave their bodies during sex, to a short cartoon in which Woody talks to the Wicked Witch in Snow White

Highly intelligent, devastatingly witty and funny, embarrassingly honest, and touchingly bittersweet, Annie Hall is a must-see for you all! For those who love conversation, the movie is full of people talking...talking.

Annie Hall Quotes:

Mother (to doctor): He's been depressed. All of a sudden, he can't do anything.
Doc: Why are you depressed, Alvy?
Mother: Tell doctor Flicker. It's something he read.
Doc: Something you read, heah?
Alvy: The universe is expanding.
Doc: The universe is expanding?
Alvy: Well, the universe is everything, and if it's expanding, someday it will break apart and that would be the end of everything!
Mother (shouting): What is that your business? (to doctor) He stopped doing his homework.
Alvy: What's the point?
Mother: What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love.

I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year ...
for cheating on my metaphysics final.
You know, I looked within the soul of the
boy sitting next to me-

(The audience laughs; they're with him)

-and when I was thrown out, my mother,
who's an emotionally high-strung woman,
locked herself in the bathroom and took an
overdose of mah-jongg tiles.

Alvy (speaking): So, did you do those photographs in there, or what?
Annie (speaking): Yeah, yeah, I sort of dabble around, you know.
Annie (subtitle): I dabble? Listen to me - what a jerk.
Alvy (speaking): They're wonderful. They have a quality...
Alvy (subtitle): You are a great - looking girl.
Annie (speaking): Well, I would like to take a serious photography course.
Annie (subtitle): He probably thinks I'm a yo-yo.
Alvy (speaking): Photography's interesting because, you know, it's a new form, and a set of aesthetic criteria have not emerged yet.
Alvy (subtitle): I wonder what she looks like naked.
Annie (speaking): "Aesthetic criteria" - you mean whether it's a good photo or not?
Annie (subtitle): I'm not smart enough for him. Hang in there.
Alvy (speaking): The medium enters in as a condition of the art form itself.
Alvy (subtitle): I don't know what I'm saying - she senses I'm shallow.
Annie (speaking): Well to me, I mean, it's, it's all instinctive. You know, I mean, I just try to feel it. You know, I try to get a sense of it and not think about it so much.
Annie (subtitle): God, I hope he doesn't turn out to be a shmuck like the others.

(He moves up the sidewalk to a young trendy-looking couple, arms wrapped around each other)
You-you look like a really happy couple.
Uh, uh ... are you?

YOUNG WOMAN
Yeah.

ALVY
Yeah! So ... so h-h-how do you account for it?

YOUNG WOMAN
Uh, I'm very shallow and empty and I have no ideas and nothing interesting to say.

YOUNG MAN
And I'm exactly the same way.

ALVY
I see. Well, that's very interesting.
So you've managed to work out something, huh?

YOUNG MAN
Right.

YOUNG WOMAN
Yeah.

ALVY
Oh, well, thanks very much for talking to me.


Home