Tiger Cafe     
    

Tuesday, September 24, 2002


Inspiring Asian Heroes (Time Asia). Opening essay.

For you in the San Francisco area, Phil Puthumana, the Curry Comic, invited me to another show of his witty comedy, at Marsh's Mock Cafe this Friday. I wrote about him April 4th when I saw his awesome performance in Sunnyvale. He's Indian, a business guy at Oracle by day, and a comedian who lets loose at night. He's a coworker of my friend June and genuinely funny. Check him out! No, I probably can't make it. But let me know when you come down here again, Phil! (He actually found what I wrote about him on Tiger Cafe and was very pleased.)

From his site:

"POOTH...The Curry Comic! That's my intro folks. I'm also known as Phil Puthumana to my friends. I got into this whole comedy thing as a fluke. My friend, Linda Huynh, had just signed up for classes at San Francisco Comedy College, and she thought it would be something I would dig. Thinking it would be cool to check out, I went to their free intro class and was hooked from there on. Thanks to SFComedyCollege Comic guru Kurtis Mathews, I'm a changed man, with a false sense of confidence that I'm actually funny and I am taking the art of comedy pretty seriously now!

My material is continually evolving and I am having an absolute blast presenting it. A good portion of my material comes from growing up as an American of Indian descent, with stories involving my Dad, since he's such a funny character to portray. As time goes on, there will be much more material involving both my cultural background and my everyday life, since both are so rich with comedic elements. Believe me, I have plenty of material yet to be tapped. Check back often to see if I have a gig in your town."


Home