| Tiger Cafe | ||
Best | Links to Me | Blog News Links |
|
Home | Older pages
Med|Politics|Biotech|CS
Medicine
WebPath: Pathology
San Francisco Bay AreaPathology Links Medical Dictionary Clinical Pharm Review Drug Info Resources Medical Pharmacology Pharmacology Notebook Ron Rinehart's Drugs Page Tortora, Anatomy Cell Biology Book GASNet Anesthesiology Medical Biochemistry Medilexicon Metabolic Pathways, Biochem Microbiology Book Molec. Bio Guide Virtual Anesthesiology Textbook Free Medical Journals JAMA NEJM Anesthesiology Anesthesia & Analgesia Autopsy Report CRNA at Georgetown blog CRNA at USC blog DB's Medical Rants Interns' Diary MDapplicants.com Medlogs.com Non-Traditional Student Dr Jrnls RangelMD.com SOAP Notes: Natalie's Diary (Surgeon) Student Doctor Network Am. Soc. of Anesthesiologists CDC Duke PA Program Alumni Emerging Infectious Diseases Dr. Eugene Stead Free Medical Journals Harvard World Health News Medical Economics Medscape NCAHF NOVA (PBS) Occupational Outlook Handbook Physician Assistant World Primary Care Guide Quackwatch ScienceDaily Science Online Scientific American The Skeptic's Dictionary WHO Yahoo! Health News
Prof. Brad DeLong (Berkeley)
Asia/OceaniaCraig (founder of Craigslist) Duke (Oakland) Eric (SF) FitsandStarts (UCSF)* In Passing... (Berkeley) Prof. Larry Lessig (Stanford) Que Sera Sera SF Bay Area Journals SF Bay Bloggers Tessa
Alaysia (Sydney)
CanadaChina Blogs Christina1/C2/C3 (Nanjing) Ellen (Manila) John (Hangzhou) Kim Jong-Il (N. Korea) Patrick (Beijing) Unica Hija/Top 10 (Manila) Europe/Middle East
Emily (London)
MidwestJoyce (UK) Osama Bin Laden Saddam Hussein Stuart Hughes (BBC) (London) Supermodels/SALTYT (Paris) NY/DC/New England
All2Swift (Yale)
South/SouthwestBazima (NYC) Edie, dating blog (NYC) Gawker (NYC) Gothamist (NYC) Halley (Boston) Harvard Weblogs Jeff (New Jersey) Joe (Charlottesville, VA)* Josh/Cyan Pictures (NYC) Julie (cooking blog) (NYC) Prof. Paul Krugman (Princeton) Phineas (NYC)* Thea (Dartmouth) Ze's Blog (NYC) Southern California
Anna (San Diego)
OtherBich Ngoc (LA) Bill (LA) Charlie (San Diego) Jason (LA) Kaila1/Kaila2 (LA) Mark Kines (LA) Pamie (LA) Peggy (Orange County) Wil Wheaton (LA)
Best of Craigslist
NewsBreakup Girl Bunnie Damn Hell Ass Kings FuckedCompany HowStuffWorks Internalmemos Kuro5hin.org Mark Cuban Blog Metafilter PickUpYourOWNDamnSocks! Rabbit Blog Technorati Technorati Profile True Porn Clerk Stories
Salon.com
PoliticsYahoo! Full Coverage Google News New York Times Charlie Rose ![]() Commonwealth Club ![]() Conversations w/ History (Berkeley)Council on Foreign Relations C-SPAN ![]() Frontline (PBS) ![]() National Public Radio (NPR) NewsHour (PBS) ![]() NOVA (PBS) ![]() Rice Univ. Webcasts ![]() World Affairs Council ![]() Agence France-Presse AlterNet Ananova Asia Times Online Associated Press Atlantic Monthly BBC News Brookings Institution Business 2.0 BusinessWeek CBS MarketWatch CNN CNN/Money Council on Foreign Relations The Economist Financial Times Forbes Foreign Affairs Fortune Globe and Mail The Guardian/The Observer The Guardian Weblog Inc The Independent Investor's Business Daily Le Monde diplomatique Los Angeles Times Mother Jones New Yorker NY Times Magazine New York Review of Books Newsweek NOW Bill Moyers Poynter Reuters San Francisco Chronicle San Jose Mercury News Scientific American Slate South China Morning Post Time The Times Wall St. Journal OpinionJournal United Nations News United Press International U.S. Congress (THOMAS) U.S. State Department Washington Monthly Washington Post Wired World Sex News Yahoo! Finance Yahoo! News YaleGlobal
Adam Felber
EntertainmentAir America Radio ![]() Daily Kos Eric Alterman Eschaton The Gadflyer Howard Dean John Kerry Michael Moore MoveOn.org PollingReport Scott Rosenberg (SF) This Modern World Whitehouse.org
Metacritic
SoftwareOnline Film Critics Society Yummy Women Yahoo! Movies AskMen.com AtomFilms Crime Library Daily Show Jon Stewart ![]() David Letterman ![]() Drew's Script-O-Rama Eric Conveys an Emotion Esquire Great American Speeches Greg (movie making) Hollywood Reporter Hong Kong Entertainment How to Write Drama IFilm Joe Frank ![]() Loveline (Adam & Dr. Drew) movieblog The Onion Roger Avary (film blog) SalsaCrazy Screenwriting (Daniel Knauf) Screenwriters Utopia The Smoking Gun Stupid Movie Physics Supermodels (SALTYT) Television Without Pity Tom Cruise|TC 2 Variety View Askew (Kevin Smith) Virtual Producer Ze's Page
OraclePower Tutorials
BiotechEverything Oracle dBforums Oracle Mag Oracle Tech Network VisualRoute (traceroute) Microsoft Developer Network Microsoft .NET Sun Java Page Sun Java Documentation Java Dev. Journal Alan Williamson (JDJ editor) Dave Winer Prof. David Eppstein Prof. Jon Pearce M. Fowler (Refactoring) Computerworld Discuss.Develop.com Game Programming IBM alphaWorks IBM developerWorks Mathtools.net OpenGL Robocode (IBM, Java) Slashdot TopCoder W3C Activities W3Schools Tutorials Webmonkey
NCBI
Bioinformatics.Org Bay Area Bioinf Disc Gp O'Reilly Bioinf Stanford Guide to Bioinf Bioinf Courses (BioTech) Google Bioinformatics Google Bioinf Journals Google Medical Inf Intl Soc Comp Bio Science Online Public Lib. of Sci Bio S*Star Online Lectures Stanford Comp. Molec Bio Stanford Comp. Genomics Stanford Microarray DB UCSC Bioinformatics * New links |
Tuesday, September 24, 2002
I was sixteen when I discovered intelligent conversation. I was living in India at the time and had been online for a month before running into a boy that lived in the southern part of the country. Before either one of us knew it, we were exchanging 13k e-mails on a daily basis. I would ask him questions and he would offer thoughtful answers and stories and opinions that made me ask him for more. English was his first language, he had a vast vocabulary and a sharp mind, and his writing was solid and easy to follow. I didn't realize how much I craved a mind like his--a mind that would pick up something and look at it from all possible angles and even the impossible ones. Before that, conversation, even ones that lasted well into the morning, were about superficial, inconsequential things like movies and school and people. Never ideas.
Wookie--my nickname for the aforementioned boy, picked after he had convinced me to read Richard Bach's The Bridge Across Forever--was the closest thing to a soulmate I had found at that point. He interested me, challenged me, fascinated me, intrigued me, helped me explore and develop my ideas and challenged them constantly so I had to rethink them, finding more possibilities and learning more about myself than I ever had. He was the first Indian boy I could really talk to, and I think the only reason I didn't think about it was because we'd met online and he wrote English so well. When we spoke on the phone for the first time I was taken back by his heavy accent and he with my lack of one. We couldn't even talk. We had nothing of any use to say to each other. This was someone who wrote me ten-page letters, with writing on both sides, but who I could not actually talk to. We started with e-mail and then he moved away to college, where he had no Internet access, so we wrote lengthy letters to each other every week. Longer and longer each letter would be, thicker envelopes had to be bought to accomodate the thickness of the letters. His words weren't beautiful. He didn't do frills. His writing was clean and direct, much like he was. I still have every letter he ever sent me. For Valentine's he drew me three pictures--the first with a hand reaching out, the second with another hand reaching back, and the third with a hand curled. It said something about reaching out for what you want or risk losing it forever. He said I had taught him that. You don't realize just how important someone is until you risk losing them. I had to move back home and we knew that letters would take longer to get to each other and Internet access was unpredictable so we knew things would change. We knew we were going to lose each other. Things became more intense. E-mails were exchanged constantly. Feelings were questioned. Did I love him? Did he love me? Was I falling in love? Was he? He admitted to me that he was falling in love with me, but that he couldn't afford to just then. I understood. We found in each other someone we could talk to, someone we could learn from, someone who would allow our minds to become everything they could be. We were so good for each other's minds, I think. And sometimes I believe we were good for each other's hearts. I remember one night when Casablanca aired on cable and since neither one of us had watched it, we planned to watch it at the same time from different parts of the country. The line, "I fell in love with you in Casablanca" has a special meaning to me. It was after Wookie that I realized I crave intelligence. I crave a mind that works and I need for that mind to competently express itself in English. I speak two other languages, but I think in English and I write in English and I love English. I need someone that shares my love for the language. I need someone who can spell, who can write grammatically correct sentences, and who knows the difference between "your" and "you're." I need someone that can read my entries or stories or letters, and understand me without the use of a dictionary. Even if English is not their first language, I need someone that knows it well enough to hear me when I'm speaking very, very fast and when I can barely put the words together. My best friend oftens says that I'm attracted to farangs--the Thai slang for Caucasians--and she's almost right. I'm attracted to people whose first language is English and who do not have the conservative strings that come with a lot of Asians here. It has to be noted that I did not grow up a conventional Indian woman and there is no way I can be with someone that isn't open-minded about my sexuality, my religion, and the way my heart beats.
|