Posted 9:21 PM
by Anonymous
[ From an
entry I just wrote for my
journal. ]
"Most boys I have gotten romantically entangled with had either been diagnosed with a mental disorder or should have been. I've loved manic-depressive people before. When Jeremy told me that he could not play the part I needed him to, it made me angry because I didn't think I'd asked him to play any part. I just wanted to love him. It took a long time before it dawned on me that he was right. I sometimes wonder if things would have been different had I packed my bags and moved halfway across the world to be with him when we wanted to be together. I think we may have been happy for a little while before I realized that I couldn't make him happy, no matter how much I loved him, and his depression would have hurt me too. I wouldn't have had the strength to leave him because I loved him so much. Where would that have gotten either one of us, with so much love and so much more unhappiness? I could not make him happy and I would not have forgiven myself for it even though it was not my responsibility. He knew he couldn't be what I wanted him to be. It still hurts to realize that he loved me better than loved him.
You want to love someone that is out to destroy themselves? Go ahead. Love them. But don't end up with them. Don't spend your life with them. You can love someone with ever fiber of your being and still be unable to make them smile. It isn't for you to fix a broken person. They have to do it on their own. Maybe your love will help them with it, but you cannot put the pieces back together without screwing that relationship up permanently in some way. Two broken people coming together will simply make a broken relationship. Don't look for parts of yourself in another person. Look for someone that will make you better, whose personality compliments yours and helps you become everything you can be. If you're not complete on your own, the completeness you feel when you're with someone will only be an illusion. It will go away. Then you'll still be missing pieces and be angry that this person you loved and depended on for happiness betrayed you by not fulfilling his role in your life. But it isn't his role. It's yours.
Happiness in relationships is not a privilege. You shouldn't have to work to be happy in a relationship. You shouldn't have to feel guilty when you're not. You should never feel like it's okay to be miserable because you love someone. Life is much too short to be wasted on bad relationships, and if you cry yourself to sleep every night because the person lying next to you feels a million miles away, you're not in a good place. The key to really loving someone is letting them go, and where they choose to go will determine the relationship you have with them. "Go. If you want to go, if you know happiness is somewhere else, if there is somewhere else you need to be and someone else you need to be with to find joy, then go. I love you enough to want you to be happy, even if that happiness cannot be found in me." Imagine the strength in a relationship between two people who have already found themselves. The journey will be magic."