| Tiger Cafe | ||
Best | Links to Me | Blog News Links |
|
Home | Older pages
Med|Politics|Biotech|CS
Medicine
WebPath: Pathology
San Francisco Bay AreaPathology Links Medical Dictionary Clinical Pharm Review Drug Info Resources Medical Pharmacology Pharmacology Notebook Ron Rinehart's Drugs Page Tortora, Anatomy Cell Biology Book GASNet Anesthesiology Medical Biochemistry Medilexicon Metabolic Pathways, Biochem Microbiology Book Molec. Bio Guide Virtual Anesthesiology Textbook Free Medical Journals JAMA NEJM Anesthesiology Anesthesia & Analgesia Autopsy Report CRNA at Georgetown blog CRNA at USC blog DB's Medical Rants Interns' Diary MDapplicants.com Medlogs.com Non-Traditional Student Dr Jrnls RangelMD.com SOAP Notes: Natalie's Diary (Surgeon) Student Doctor Network Am. Soc. of Anesthesiologists CDC Duke PA Program Alumni Emerging Infectious Diseases Dr. Eugene Stead Free Medical Journals Harvard World Health News Medical Economics Medscape NCAHF NOVA (PBS) Occupational Outlook Handbook Physician Assistant World Primary Care Guide Quackwatch ScienceDaily Science Online Scientific American The Skeptic's Dictionary WHO Yahoo! Health News
Prof. Brad DeLong (Berkeley)
Asia/OceaniaCraig (founder of Craigslist) Duke (Oakland) Eric (SF) FitsandStarts (UCSF)* In Passing... (Berkeley) Prof. Larry Lessig (Stanford) Que Sera Sera SF Bay Area Journals SF Bay Bloggers Tessa
Alaysia (Sydney)
CanadaChina Blogs Christina1/C2/C3 (Nanjing) Ellen (Manila) John (Hangzhou) Kim Jong-Il (N. Korea) Patrick (Beijing) Unica Hija/Top 10 (Manila) Europe/Middle East
Emily (London)
MidwestJoyce (UK) Osama Bin Laden Saddam Hussein Stuart Hughes (BBC) (London) Supermodels/SALTYT (Paris) NY/DC/New England
All2Swift (Yale)
South/SouthwestBazima (NYC) Edie, dating blog (NYC) Gawker (NYC) Gothamist (NYC) Halley (Boston) Harvard Weblogs Jeff (New Jersey) Joe (Charlottesville, VA)* Josh/Cyan Pictures (NYC) Julie (cooking blog) (NYC) Prof. Paul Krugman (Princeton) Phineas (NYC)* Thea (Dartmouth) Ze's Blog (NYC) Southern California
Anna (San Diego)
OtherBich Ngoc (LA) Bill (LA) Charlie (San Diego) Jason (LA) Kaila1/Kaila2 (LA) Mark Kines (LA) Pamie (LA) Peggy (Orange County) Wil Wheaton (LA)
Best of Craigslist
NewsBreakup Girl Bunnie Damn Hell Ass Kings FuckedCompany HowStuffWorks Internalmemos Kuro5hin.org Mark Cuban Blog Metafilter PickUpYourOWNDamnSocks! Rabbit Blog Technorati Technorati Profile True Porn Clerk Stories
Salon.com
PoliticsYahoo! Full Coverage Google News New York Times Charlie Rose ![]() Commonwealth Club ![]() Conversations w/ History (Berkeley)Council on Foreign Relations C-SPAN ![]() Frontline (PBS) ![]() National Public Radio (NPR) NewsHour (PBS) ![]() NOVA (PBS) ![]() Rice Univ. Webcasts ![]() World Affairs Council ![]() Agence France-Presse AlterNet Ananova Asia Times Online Associated Press Atlantic Monthly BBC News Brookings Institution Business 2.0 BusinessWeek CBS MarketWatch CNN CNN/Money Council on Foreign Relations The Economist Financial Times Forbes Foreign Affairs Fortune Globe and Mail The Guardian/The Observer The Guardian Weblog Inc The Independent Investor's Business Daily Le Monde diplomatique Los Angeles Times Mother Jones New Yorker NY Times Magazine New York Review of Books Newsweek NOW Bill Moyers Poynter Reuters San Francisco Chronicle San Jose Mercury News Scientific American Slate South China Morning Post Time The Times Wall St. Journal OpinionJournal United Nations News United Press International U.S. Congress (THOMAS) U.S. State Department Washington Monthly Washington Post Wired World Sex News Yahoo! Finance Yahoo! News YaleGlobal
Adam Felber
EntertainmentAir America Radio ![]() Daily Kos Eric Alterman Eschaton The Gadflyer Howard Dean John Kerry Michael Moore MoveOn.org PollingReport Scott Rosenberg (SF) This Modern World Whitehouse.org
Metacritic
SoftwareOnline Film Critics Society Yummy Women Yahoo! Movies AskMen.com AtomFilms Crime Library Daily Show Jon Stewart ![]() David Letterman ![]() Drew's Script-O-Rama Eric Conveys an Emotion Esquire Great American Speeches Greg (movie making) Hollywood Reporter Hong Kong Entertainment How to Write Drama IFilm Joe Frank ![]() Loveline (Adam & Dr. Drew) movieblog The Onion Roger Avary (film blog) SalsaCrazy Screenwriting (Daniel Knauf) Screenwriters Utopia The Smoking Gun Stupid Movie Physics Supermodels (SALTYT) Television Without Pity Tom Cruise|TC 2 Variety View Askew (Kevin Smith) Virtual Producer Ze's Page
OraclePower Tutorials
BiotechEverything Oracle dBforums Oracle Mag Oracle Tech Network VisualRoute (traceroute) Microsoft Developer Network Microsoft .NET Sun Java Page Sun Java Documentation Java Dev. Journal Alan Williamson (JDJ editor) Dave Winer Prof. David Eppstein Prof. Jon Pearce M. Fowler (Refactoring) Computerworld Discuss.Develop.com Game Programming IBM alphaWorks IBM developerWorks Mathtools.net OpenGL Robocode (IBM, Java) Slashdot TopCoder W3C Activities W3Schools Tutorials Webmonkey
NCBI
Bioinformatics.Org Bay Area Bioinf Disc Gp O'Reilly Bioinf Stanford Guide to Bioinf Bioinf Courses (BioTech) Google Bioinformatics Google Bioinf Journals Google Medical Inf Intl Soc Comp Bio Science Online Public Lib. of Sci Bio S*Star Online Lectures Stanford Comp. Molec Bio Stanford Comp. Genomics Stanford Microarray DB UCSC Bioinformatics * New links |
Tuesday, September 24, 2002
For Trixy: How I Became a Fantastic Flirt: The True-Life Tale of a Wallflower Gone Wild. Funny!
Speak English? Hell no! From Rasee: "I cannot be in a romantic relationship with someone that doesn't speak English. I've tried and it's simply not possible when what I love most in the world are English words. When I first started university I played around on the local network and knew those online on the same time could talk to each other. It was how I'd kept in touch with my ex-boyfriend and it was how I'd met Jin's current girlfriend before they'd run into each other. I gave my phone number to a guy that seemed sweet, and since you had to type in English to converse, I assumed he spoke English somewhat competently. I was wrong. Bee was a sweet and conservative Thai boy that went to school far, far away. We talked on the phone regularly for a long while and when things took a romantic turn, I found out just how conservative Thai boys can be. He had never kissed or hugged a girl, and he thought holding hands was reserved for committed couples. Just hearing that made me want to question his sanity. In high school a couple of my closest guy friends had that same sort of 'respect' for women, but they weren't as hung up on physical affection as Bee appeared to be. He also did not speak English at all so eventually I got tired of having to work so hard to put words together." This strikes a queasy chord with me, Rasee. I've been thinking hard over this question this year. Like I said before, bantering conversation is essential to me in a relationship. We've gotta have fun and rhythm when we talk. Like you, I love the English language and words in general. I used to spend my high school years poring over the dictionary for fun. But does that mean I tend to go out with English majors or people who write well? No! I've tended to go out with foreigners. Foreign-born girls. (Well I'm foreign-born too.) I tend to feel more electricity with them at parties. They tend to laugh instantly at my jokes. I like their infectious enthusiasm. We click. Some have been good writers, in their native languages. Some totally suck at writing. Some I barely spoke English with at all, but instead my other tongue---like Taiwanese. One was Italian, and she was a set of contradictions: a former Miss Italy contestant who also trained for triathlons, so feminine and emotional she'd cry in the lab, but tough enough to lift turbo pumps with one hand; a girl who studied physics and did mechanical engineering but who wore Ralph Lauren to work. Inevitably we get into language and cultural barriers. Misunderstandings. They usually wouldn't understand this mishmash of words I call Tiger Cafe. We struggle to talk deeper. They listen blankly at my talk about pop culture and Charlie Rose. How important is that, really, I keep wondering? So what? We are enjoying each other's company. When I meet native English speakers (including Asians born in America), something feels missing. Yeah, we can talk about the same supermarkets or local clubs, but it feels more like talking to your sister than a potential date. More flat. Sometimes compared to them, I feel like the foreigner, in my weirdo position of being neither completely Asian nor completely American. (You Asian Americans or immigrants know what I mean.) Yes, they understand every word I'm saying, but my dry, understated humor just bypasses them. Some are looking for a sitcom entertainer who tells them loud stories and one-liners. Or sometimes I meet people who ARE English majors or very scholarly. They can talk about deconstructionism and politics and the war in Afghanistan, but then I start falling asleep. Too academic. Too much jargon for its own sake. I start worrying that I've lost my funny bone "mojo." And then I'll talk to my friend Atsuko, here from Osaka, Japan. And she'll laugh like crazy before I even finish my sentences. So it's back to the foreign-born for me and that unusual chemistry we have, even though I've lived most of my life in America. Call it a fetish. Call it a superstition. I don't give a damn. I only know that I cherish that chemistry and our banter, while grammatically for five-year-olds, can go on for ages. Until we hit that next cultural roadblock.
|