Tiger Cafe     
    

Wednesday, September 18, 2002


Can you tell who is Chinese, Japanese, or Korean? Test yourself at

All Look Same,

started by Dyske, this Japanese creative director in New York City. Check out his very cool links and other sections, especially Ms. Wu's entries.

I guessed totally wrong on the CJK test. I only got 5 out of 18 questions right!

People (including Asians) sometimes have a hard time telling my ethnic background. My Taiwanese friend Irene says I definitely don't look native Taiwanese. I get my hair cut by Vietnamese barbers, who tend to speak to me in Vietnamese. Once when I was at 99 Ranch Market, these Korean salespeople started chatting with me in Korean. At this San Francisco dinner party, someone said I look like a Hong Kong guy, especially last year when my hair was highlighted light brown. And several times, Japanese tourists have come to me asking for directions, in Japanese!

If it's night outside a gospel church, would people think I'm black? :D

What's the real story?

I'm totally Chinese. My grandparents are from Fujian province in southern China. They emigrated to the Philippines in the 1930s, where my parents' generation and I were all born.

Southern Chinese may look like this: Christina's photos from Lushan Mountain. They are usually shorter than northern Beijingers, who are supposed to eat more thick noodles, which are supposed to help you get bigger somehow.

Grace and Christina, after Grace's engagement:


I'm curious. What do YOU think I look like?


Home