Tiger Cafe     
    

Wednesday, September 10, 2003


My last word on the "nice guy" debate. I wrote this on Chinedu's guestbook on MixerMixer:

"I was so over that Nice Guy debate over a year ago, but dating in general is fascinating. Plus Edie is a fantastic writer who openly expresses what she goes through before, during, and after every date. I think my point is you don't throw away the 'nice' parts of yourself. Most women actually like those and usually wouldn't date someone they think is a liar, cruel, inconsiderate, etc. It's just to remember to be assertive, confident, interesting, show leadership, etc. as well as being 'nice.' Show some mystery and patience and be nice in moderation. Let her work for you and make sure she shows interest in you before doing a song-and-dance for her. That's where guys overdo 'niceness' and it turns into desperation and neediness."

Edie: Dating Stories (Gossip)

Edie in Manhattan has been capturing tons of people's attention for months, including mine, with her juicy dating stories. Read about all the curious guys she has been meeting, including "Alf," "Tim Russert," "Mallowmar," and "Cowboy." Slightly neurotic, foolishly impulsive, and sometimes very shy, Edie feels like a real-life Ally McBeal. Seems like things are starting to go well with her and "Cowboy," for a change!

- Her July stories
- Her August stories
- Her September stories

Read her Aug. 18th entry and comments to see what she says about the "Nice Guy" question:

"I thought someone would make the 'bad boy winning over nice guy' observation. This is really not the case here. Cowboy is no bad boy. He is a really nice guy. And, I would love it if he was demonstrative as Mallowmar. His acting in this way would not have the effect of lessing my interest in him, but rather the opposite.

Also, I knew, before I experienced his reticence, that Cowboy and I would probably be more compatible than Mallowmar and I. We had an amazing email correspondence. You will remember my unusual nervousness before our first date. Our conversation is relatively effortless. We think the same way about most things. We share a lot of interests. These are all very real reasons for, at this point anyway, preferring Cowboy.

I like Mallowmar, too. It is just that our conversation isn't as good, we don't share many interests, and I sometimes feel ill at ease with him.

Lastly, I want to make clear that I have never gone for bad boys. I really like nice guys, and I don't understand women that don't.

Posted by: edie at August 19, 2003 11:54 AM"


Home