Tiger Cafe     
    

Tuesday, August 19, 2003


Networking (Business)

I've been doing a lot of networking recently, instinctively. People are calling me the "human Craigslist," asking me to help them find software developers, babysitters, friends, and customers.

Pjammer's old blog entry about social networking: Navigating the Corridors of Power. He and I have been talking much recently.

I think I'm a natural "connector." I love to bring people together. I have the imagination to see how disparate people can mutually help each other, and I love to introduce them. I keep my contact lists constantly updated and well-organized. My friend Vivian actually used me to expand her social circle when she returned from working in Tokyo for two years. I actually set her up with her boyfriend, a Stanford graduate who was my coworker.

In fact, trying to connect you to people and experiences you should have is one of the main reasons I write this blog!

Read the article about Keith Ferrazzi, The 10 Secrets of a Master Networker:

Rule 1: Don't network just to network.
Rule 2: Take names.
Rule 3: Build it before you need it.
Rule 4: Never eat alone.
Rule 5: Be interesting.
Rule 6: Manage the gatekeeper. Artfully.
Rule 7: Always ask.
Rule 8: Don't keep score. "Successful networking is never about simply getting what you want. It's about getting what you want and making sure that people who are important to you get what they want, too. Often, that means fixing up people with one another."
Rule 9: Ping constantly.
Rule 10: Find anchor tenants. Feed them.


Home