Tiger Cafe     
    

Tuesday, August 19, 2003


Best 2003 Movie: Seabiscuit (Entertainment)

I saw Seabiscuit recently, written and directed by Gary Ross, and starring Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges, Elizabeth Banks, Chris Cooper, and William H. Macy. It's about horse racing and one of America's finest horses.

God, it is the BEST new movie I've seen this year. The best since The Pianist. Very refreshing if you're burned out on this summer's glut of CGI action movies.

It made me cry. I identified much with several of the characters. Not only was it deeply touching, it was intimate, nostalgic, and at times warmly funny.

''You don't throw a whole life away just because it's banged up a little.''

You want great acting? Feel you've been beaten down by life and need a boost of inspiration? Need a second chance in life?

Seabiscuit is your movie. I foresee many Academy Award nominations.

(I also thoroughly loved writer/director Gary Ross' 1998 film, which also starred Tobey Maguire and William H. Macy, called Pleasantville. Completely unique and worth watching.)


Home