Tiger Cafe     
    

Tuesday, April 22, 2003


Mira Says...Conservative "Sluts"

Visiting this "Catholic confession thread" on RBJ, which I find very amusing, I found this from Mira, the so-called "Corean vixen":

"In advance, I'd like to apologize to all the 'freak' so to speak readership of mira@sh5mp! (really, I do love you) for misrepresenting and misleading you.

To your dismay, I am not the following:

-a slut
-a ho
-a skank
-and all other synonyms/permutations of such.

I do however, enjoy self-protraiture, am a bit of a closet exhibitionist, but am incredibly:

-dull
-boring
-conservative

in real life. That's right. The Internet is the only place I put the 'R' in risque. Thank you."

Haha! You go ol' timer! Get out those librarian reading glasses. I'll get your dentures for ya.

What a sweet friend you are, girl. :D

Isn't it interesting how often people in general use the Net to let themselves scream and talk sexual fantasies and dress up in women's clothes and dance a virtual cucaracha, but when you meet them in real life, they may be shy, quiet, dream of lifetime monogamy, water their plants when they're supposed to, prefer staying at home Friday nights to study, can't stand heavy metal, puke at the smell of alcohol, listen to their moms, eat vegetarian, prefer the missionary position, and have only had two boyfriends their whole life?

Actually, this "fantasy representation" of ourselves isn't just confined to the Net. People in Hollywood are always complaining how the public sees them as more glamorous, sexually promiscuous, bitchy, ditzy, diva-like, and stupid than they really are. Ben Affleck complained, in the March 2003 cover article of Vanity Fair, how people have this fake picture of his girlfriend Jennifer Lopez: "In the physical sense, she's extremely chaste. She's characterized as oversexed. I mean, the woman's had five boyfriends in her whole life! She's a deeply misunderstood woman."

I believe Ben and feel sorry for Jennifer. From what I've seen, in deep Charlie Rose interviews with Hollywood people, in bios, in articles, and from life, is that most successful people must work incredibly hard, withstand tremendous discouragement, believe in themselves with an almost cocky self-confidence, command themselves with spartan discipline, and be "nice" and get along with their coworkers. With few exceptions.

In entertainment it's just the same as in engineering. It's business. The people who rise to the top (see Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise in interviews) tend to be really nice in person, humble and unpretentious---even self-deprecating---calm, mature, and "conservative" by Hollywood standards. Look at David E. Kelley, husband of Michelle Pfeiffer and creator of The Practice. Both he and Michelle Pfeiffer call themselves "shy" in real-life. In fact, when they first met on a blind date, it was hard for two shy people like them to talk at all!

Aaron Sorkin, creator of The West Wing, is nowhere as organized as Kelley.

"Sorkin said he spoke with Kelley and learned that Kelley is a Zenlike master of personal discipline. Sorkin recalls,

"He said, 'Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I write Ally McBeal, Thursday, Friday, Saturday I write The Practice, Sunday I'm with my wife and kids.' And I thought, I have a real schedule, too. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I freak out cuz I haven't thought of what next week's show is. Thursday I start yelling at people because I haven't thought of what next week's show is. Friday I go, 'Ohmigod, there's going to be a half hour of dead air on ABC next week,' and then it finally gets done."

Ok, well there goes my theory. :D

Still, don't you notice that the people who tend to last and succeed in the long run in the arts are just like the people who last and succeed in business and engineering? About Cindy Crawford: "Crawford enrolled at Northwestern University to study chemical engineering on an academic scholarship. Crawford made straight A's through high school." That's right---Cindy and I could have been classmates, in another life! She left to become one of the most famous supermodels in the world. She usually talks about how she tries to be professional and "always on time." No drama queen in site.

And so it goes in Hollywood and in real-life, vs. the big screen or the Internet. The people who actually lead and star in those dream factories are more like our parents than we might want to think.


Home