Posted 10:22 AM
by Blah blah
Chinese-American Woman Caught Spying for China
She got secret information the old-fashioned way---through sex.
Ex-F.B.I. Agent Is Accused of Passing Secrets to Lover (
NY Times):
"A Chinese-American woman in Southern California who worked as an informer for the F.B.I. took numerous top-secret documents from her bureau handler, who was also her longtime lover, and she passed secrets on to Chinese government, officials said today. The woman and the agent were arrested this morning in Los Angeles in what could prove to be another major embarrassment for the Federal Bureau of Investigation when it is battling lingering questions about its ability to handle national security investigations.
The woman, Katrina Leung, 49, who was identified by the federal authorities as a double agent, was charged with obtaining a classified national security document for purposes of aiding a foreign nation. The agent, James Smith, who was with the F.B.I. for nearly 30 years and is now retired, was charged with gross negligence for allowing Ms. Leung to obtain the documents....
Officials said that Mr. Smith and Ms. Leung began having a sexual relationship soon after the agent recruited her to act as an informer on the Chinese government in the early 1980's. The F.B.I paid her some $1.7 million over a 20-year period in expenses and service fees to act as an informer....
A second F.B.I agent in the San Francisco field office also admitted that he had an affair with Ms. Leung for as long as 10 years, beginning in the late 1980's, officials said. The second agent, whom officials did not identify, became aware around 1991 that Ms. Leung was having unauthorized contacts with national security officials in Beijing."
Here's a
picture of Katrina Leung.
Oh my God:
Woman accused of spying for China is prominent SoCal community leader (AP). She was so active and well-connected in S. California politics, as well as the Chinese-American community. Too bad.