Posted 7:07 PM
by Duke
Why I blog:
Today marks something like my one year anniversary of blogging. I've always been a bit of a writer, scribbling lines and verses whenever inspiration struck. My freshman year roommate taught me how to use the University's webserver to host my website. And so it began.
Last year I decided to finally buy my own domain, but I couldn't think of any one particular name to which I could commit. So I chose Duke-Kim. Not because I'm egotistical (I am), but because I couldn't think of anything else. So that was my birthday present to myself, a year of hosting on FatCow and a two-year name registration.
Why do I write?
It helps me sort through my issues, unpack my baggage, and ease my heart. I worry a lot about things, and writing is my vent. Getting things down on digital paper helps me think through problems and issues I might be facing as a young adult, Christian, son, brother, Korean-American, single male, or all/any of the above. I've been called out on being shallow, sheltered, stupid, gay, anti-Asian, and just an ass in general. Maybe I really am any or all of those things. The real issue is that I am trying to figure myself out, and if the world wants to read about it, let them.
It is my silent cry for help. Just kidding, sheesh.
It is my white flag to other writers and authors. I would love to get published in GQ, author a book of short stories, or write freelance. I'd love all of those things. But I also love to eat and wear clothing. So I know it may be a while in coming before I can actually say that I'm a writer. But I would love to have a mentor either tell me I'm a hack or help me hone whatever skills I may possess.
It's me. I've always loved reading and I've always loved writing. I can't judge for myself, but people say I'm good at it. So I keep doing it. Along with good bourbon, it is my passion.
My readership is fairly large (I think), I get upwards of 150 hits/day on my main page. I don't know who most of you may be. Old high school friends? New Michigan friends? The government? Sometimes I get supportive emails, sometimes I get not-so-supportive emails. I only hope that most of the people who come to read me do so not to make fun of me or make themselves feel better, but because I happen to hit upon something interesting or insightful.
And I will continue to write. And maybe one day after years of hard-work consulting or lawyer-ing, I'll get my photo taken for the jacket cover of my first book. I'll start saving for that leather-patched tweed jacket now.
Thanks to everyone (silent or not-so-much-so) for making this past year important to me.