| Tiger Cafe | ||
Best | Links to Me | Blog News Links |
|
Home | Older pages
Med|Politics|Biotech|CS
Medicine
WebPath: Pathology
San Francisco Bay AreaPathology Links Medical Dictionary Clinical Pharm Review Drug Info Resources Medical Pharmacology Pharmacology Notebook Ron Rinehart's Drugs Page Tortora, Anatomy Cell Biology Book GASNet Anesthesiology Medical Biochemistry Medilexicon Metabolic Pathways, Biochem Microbiology Book Molec. Bio Guide Virtual Anesthesiology Textbook Free Medical Journals JAMA NEJM Anesthesiology Anesthesia & Analgesia Autopsy Report CRNA at Georgetown blog CRNA at USC blog DB's Medical Rants Interns' Diary MDapplicants.com Medlogs.com Non-Traditional Student Dr Jrnls RangelMD.com SOAP Notes: Natalie's Diary (Surgeon) Student Doctor Network Am. Soc. of Anesthesiologists CDC Duke PA Program Alumni Emerging Infectious Diseases Dr. Eugene Stead Free Medical Journals Harvard World Health News Medical Economics Medscape NCAHF NOVA (PBS) Occupational Outlook Handbook Physician Assistant World Primary Care Guide Quackwatch ScienceDaily Science Online Scientific American The Skeptic's Dictionary WHO Yahoo! Health News
Prof. Brad DeLong (Berkeley)
Asia/OceaniaCraig (founder of Craigslist) Duke (Oakland) Eric (SF) FitsandStarts (UCSF)* In Passing... (Berkeley) Prof. Larry Lessig (Stanford) Que Sera Sera SF Bay Area Journals SF Bay Bloggers Tessa
Alaysia (Sydney)
CanadaChina Blogs Christina1/C2/C3 (Nanjing) Ellen (Manila) John (Hangzhou) Kim Jong-Il (N. Korea) Patrick (Beijing) Unica Hija/Top 10 (Manila) Europe/Middle East
Emily (London)
MidwestJoyce (UK) Osama Bin Laden Saddam Hussein Stuart Hughes (BBC) (London) Supermodels/SALTYT (Paris) NY/DC/New England
All2Swift (Yale)
South/SouthwestBazima (NYC) Edie, dating blog (NYC) Gawker (NYC) Gothamist (NYC) Halley (Boston) Harvard Weblogs Jeff (New Jersey) Joe (Charlottesville, VA)* Josh/Cyan Pictures (NYC) Julie (cooking blog) (NYC) Prof. Paul Krugman (Princeton) Phineas (NYC)* Thea (Dartmouth) Ze's Blog (NYC) Southern California
Anna (San Diego)
OtherBich Ngoc (LA) Bill (LA) Charlie (San Diego) Jason (LA) Kaila1/Kaila2 (LA) Mark Kines (LA) Pamie (LA) Peggy (Orange County) Wil Wheaton (LA)
Best of Craigslist
NewsBreakup Girl Bunnie Damn Hell Ass Kings FuckedCompany HowStuffWorks Internalmemos Kuro5hin.org Mark Cuban Blog Metafilter PickUpYourOWNDamnSocks! Rabbit Blog Technorati Technorati Profile True Porn Clerk Stories
Salon.com
PoliticsYahoo! Full Coverage Google News New York Times Charlie Rose ![]() Commonwealth Club ![]() Conversations w/ History (Berkeley)Council on Foreign Relations C-SPAN ![]() Frontline (PBS) ![]() National Public Radio (NPR) NewsHour (PBS) ![]() NOVA (PBS) ![]() Rice Univ. Webcasts ![]() World Affairs Council ![]() Agence France-Presse AlterNet Ananova Asia Times Online Associated Press Atlantic Monthly BBC News Brookings Institution Business 2.0 BusinessWeek CBS MarketWatch CNN CNN/Money Council on Foreign Relations The Economist Financial Times Forbes Foreign Affairs Fortune Globe and Mail The Guardian/The Observer The Guardian Weblog Inc The Independent Investor's Business Daily Le Monde diplomatique Los Angeles Times Mother Jones New Yorker NY Times Magazine New York Review of Books Newsweek NOW Bill Moyers Poynter Reuters San Francisco Chronicle San Jose Mercury News Scientific American Slate South China Morning Post Time The Times Wall St. Journal OpinionJournal United Nations News United Press International U.S. Congress (THOMAS) U.S. State Department Washington Monthly Washington Post Wired World Sex News Yahoo! Finance Yahoo! News YaleGlobal
Adam Felber
EntertainmentAir America Radio ![]() Daily Kos Eric Alterman Eschaton The Gadflyer Howard Dean John Kerry Michael Moore MoveOn.org PollingReport Scott Rosenberg (SF) This Modern World Whitehouse.org
Metacritic
SoftwareOnline Film Critics Society Yummy Women Yahoo! Movies AskMen.com AtomFilms Crime Library Daily Show Jon Stewart ![]() David Letterman ![]() Drew's Script-O-Rama Eric Conveys an Emotion Esquire Great American Speeches Greg (movie making) Hollywood Reporter Hong Kong Entertainment How to Write Drama IFilm Joe Frank ![]() Loveline (Adam & Dr. Drew) movieblog The Onion Roger Avary (film blog) SalsaCrazy Screenwriting (Daniel Knauf) Screenwriters Utopia The Smoking Gun Stupid Movie Physics Supermodels (SALTYT) Television Without Pity Tom Cruise|TC 2 Variety View Askew (Kevin Smith) Virtual Producer Ze's Page
OraclePower Tutorials
BiotechEverything Oracle dBforums Oracle Mag Oracle Tech Network VisualRoute (traceroute) Microsoft Developer Network Microsoft .NET Sun Java Page Sun Java Documentation Java Dev. Journal Alan Williamson (JDJ editor) Dave Winer Prof. David Eppstein Prof. Jon Pearce M. Fowler (Refactoring) Computerworld Discuss.Develop.com Game Programming IBM alphaWorks IBM developerWorks Mathtools.net OpenGL Robocode (IBM, Java) Slashdot TopCoder W3C Activities W3Schools Tutorials Webmonkey
NCBI
Bioinformatics.Org Bay Area Bioinf Disc Gp O'Reilly Bioinf Stanford Guide to Bioinf Bioinf Courses (BioTech) Google Bioinformatics Google Bioinf Journals Google Medical Inf Intl Soc Comp Bio Science Online Public Lib. of Sci Bio S*Star Online Lectures Stanford Comp. Molec Bio Stanford Comp. Genomics Stanford Microarray DB UCSC Bioinformatics * New links |
Thursday, December 26, 2002
Merry Christmas, everyone!
I am blogging from sunny 'ol...Irvine. :) I must apologize for my absence, but I actually just recently came back from New York. Needless to say, it was a much-needed vacation, and an excellent, excellent one, at that. Visiting has made me want to move there! With all things considered, though, I know that Los Angeles is my home, at least for the next few years. Even if I wanted to, I don't think I could even survive in the city, with how expensive simple living costs are--such as rent. Anyway, the last thing I need is to get distracted from my career path. My mission, now, is to hone in on developing my skills as a broker. If anything, these are the very skills that will take me where I want to be in the future. For now, I can settle with visiting New York say, once per year. :) Patience, Esther, patience. I had an excellent time in New York. Raymond, I know that if any of your co-writers are responsible for making you second guess making the move to Los Angeles, it would ultimately be me. Alas, my love-hate relationship with LA. But really--I swear that it is more love than hate! Really! You can take the tone of desperation in the former pleas to whatever extent you may, but I know it would be useless to lie that I wholeheartedly love this city, and that I would never, ever leave. The summary of why I love NYC more than LA in my personal web journal touches upon a moment where while I was in New York. I came at a point where I had to explain to my boyfriend, Ian, why I disliked LA. In fact, it was while we were on the ferry to Staten Island. My qualms and even pure discontent at the city has always been a comedic topic between Ian and me, but I guess this was probably the first time where it had taken a serious tone. Specifically, "Why wouldn't I want to raise kids in LA?" I mean, What position do I have to even answer this question? I, myself, haven't even grown up in Los Angeles. Where is my own point of reference? Wouldn't I be generalizing to say that it isn't a good place to raise kids? These are many of the questions that Ian, my boyfriend, could ask--and he did in so many words. I guess from my point of view, you could say that I might have a phobia of convenience. Of luxury. Of all things that affluence brings. This is because affluence brings spoiledness. Snobbery. It brings the "luxury" of having tunnel-vision and living the affluent life-style and not thinking of others less fortunate. Southern California and its lack of efficient public transportation requires everyone to have a car. So, everybody does. However, this allows for making your automobile a symbol of your status--much more so than any other city. Great weather lets people own the car they want with money as the only obstacle. There's no salt in the roads to wreck or ruin your car. Rain is an infrequency. And, there's no snow. Somebody should do a study on this, but I would bet that in terms of mere percentage of yearly income, people spend more money on cars here than anywhere else. There is a lot of wealth in LA, but I doubt that it is so much more that the 3 Porsche 911 turbos I see en route to work everyday were paid in cash, or even 50% down. In the subway of New York, I came across so many different types of people--be they different because of ethnicity, race, income, profession, you name it. I experienced 10x's more diversification riding in those subways than I ever have driving 6 miles to Beverly Hills and back everyday for work. But, that's what we do here in LA--drive where we gotta go and back with our eyes straight forward. When I was growing up in Milwaukee, I noticed that my parents had a sort of phobia of black people. They didn't mean any ill will or anything--I just noticed that they tended to think of them in a certain way and that certain way included a kind of scaredness and plain aversion. But I had no idea why. I knew that people also classified *me* a certain way when they saw me, but all I knew was that they didn't really know me nor did they have any right to do that, either. So, I saw parallels--and the reasons why my parents and everybody who classified people of certain races in general was because of information they got from the media, advertising, plain 'ol marketing--not because of actual interaction. If it was interaction, it was very limited--such as basing your perspective of an entire race on the interaction of say, *one* person who was supposed to represent the entire race. But. How the heck were my parents to have access to more than a few black people while living in Wisconsin? How the heck were my peers, my schoolmates supposed to have interaction with more than a few Asians, or even Taiwanese Americans or Chinese Americans? I was the only one in reach, and heck. I was good at school (including math), and I played 2 classical instruments. I somewhat fit the stereotypes, although I wasn't very accommodating nor soft-spoken. I value appreciating diversity when it is available. This means diversity and everything it brings--including culture, backgrounds, you name it. To me, it is an absolute waste when people just drive by each other day after day and really have no desire to learn about the other even though they are a part of each other's daily lives. I appreciate cultural spillover, but I guess that Los Angeles tends to strike me as a city where it happens, but not nearly as much as it should. Additionally, with the luxury factor, I don't deny that New York doesn't also have a lot of money, and *old money*, at that, but I guess factored in with the public transportation, I just love that New York doesn't necessarily allow you to shut yourself off in your own little world. Back to when Ian and I were discussing why I wouldn't want to raise my kids in LA (after all, Ian turned out okay, didn't he?), I guess it is because I tend to think particularly about raising daughters in Los Angeles and I cringe. Yes--girls. No, not all girls I have come across are superficial and shallow. But, when they aren't, it seems very much against the norm. With all the pressures in society--yes, the media--that say that a woman's worth is *largely* based upon how good she looks, not on what she can do, I have come to conclude that LA, combined with its attention to image, is probably the city that most emphasizes this. Again, I am speaking of my own phobia. This is my issue--that I hate those traits so much that I would actually run away from them when it comes to raising my kids. Los Angeles has *many* resources that are valuable to me. I just think that they are valuable to me only after having already established who I am and where I stand on the large issues. Not when I am responsible for establishing those things in my children. Then again, maybe I am just a sheltered, midwestern girl at heart. *e
|