Tiger Cafe     
    

Thursday, December 12, 2002


The Matthew Perry Phenomenon

As I was flying back from Seattle this past week I sat on the airplane in eager anticipation of the movie announcement. Normally I prefer to read on the flight home, but today that was just too much effort. I was a little sick, tired and stressed. I'm currently reading Baudolino by Umberto Eco, which is great book but just too complex for my state of mind at the time. I needed something mind numbing to keep me occupied for the 4 hour flight.

The loud speaker crackled and the flight attendant came on to announce that the movie of the day was going to be Serving Sarah. Serving Sarah?!? Sounds like a porn movie title to me. I was thinking: "Well if the movie is bad at least I can read the skymall catalog again for the millionth time or something".

The TV's in the aisle flickered on and lo and behold it was a movie staring Matthew Perry and Elizabeth Hurley. The Theory: Matthew Perry always stars in really bad grade B movies with really hot women. Every movie I have seen Matthew Perry star in he plays basically the same role. He is a sappy funny guy that eventually gets the girl in the end, and the girl is always hot. Example: Serving Sarah and The Whole 9 Yards. In this case the girl was Elizabeth Hurley, *raWr*.

The movie itself was completely stupid, and only mildly funny. It was about a process server that got convinced by one of his marks (Elizabeth Hurley) to go after her husband instead. I can't say I blame him, Elizabeth Hurley could convince me to do about anything. So off to Dallas, Texas they go to serve her husband divorce papers. I bet American Airlines though they were overly cute by playing a movie about going to Dallas, TX on a flight to Dallas, TX. Some of the Texas stereotypes in the film were mildly amusing and regrettably most of them are true. How I loathe Texas these days. An added bonus was that Vincent Pastore (Pussy from the Sopranos) served as Perry's competition and comic relief.

So I think I'll make it a point to catch any future Matthew Perry flicks in the future, midless entertainment is always better with hot women.


Home