Posted 10:49 PM
by e*star
At your request, Raymond.
Here's my contribution. :) I'm updating everyone on my pastimes, so here goes!
So--I joined
a gym. Yes. I am getting in shape!! The last time I was in shape was when I was last single. Actually, the last time I was single was when being single was the only lifestyle I had ever known. So...I am doing this for myself, and I am actually really, really happy with the results, even though they are short-term. The last time I was in tip top shape physically was when I was running everyday because of cross country in high school, so I have had a fairly demanding physical background. BUT, I must say that running distances in the metropolitan Los Angeles area is not quite comparable to running in say, a suburban Milwaukee area. Since I've moved away from campus, I haven't been comfortable with running near my quarters.
The gym I joined is focused primarily on class instruction. Very few of the members go because of the equipment, even though they have really good equipment. Mind you, the gym is a bit more expensive than other gyms because the dues have to be able to pay each of the instructors. There are classes going on each hour and there's a great variety. Pilates, spinning, yoga, hip hop, and they are especially known for their kickboxing classes. So...with what I've gathered in the past about needing
motivation in order to visit the gym regularly (as opposed to just going to work on machines and weights), I figured this is exactly the gym I needed. In fact, I've already attended 3 classes. The spinning class really kicked my arse. Good stuff... One class I attended last week was at 6:30AM, which I attended before work. Yeah, I know. Pretty admirable...but, um, we'll see if I can keep this up. :) I am somewhat determined. By my telling you guys this, I've fostered some sort of accountability...maybe this will somehow be additional motivation?
Even though I've worked out a couple times, I noticed that working out does absolute
wonders for me. I actually feel my skin getting rejuvenated. Is that crazy? Also, I have a lot more energy during the day and just a lot more refreshed. Anyhoo, I would highly recommend a weekly work-out regimen for everybody. I know, preach to the choir...I have yet to develop the regular practice, myself. We'll see...
Meanwhile, in other news...
I've finally taken my snowboard to get tuned up in my first trip to my boardshop of the season. I have totally missed the first AND second dump on
Mammoth Mountain and I am missing out on my favorite winter pastime as we speak. Boo hoo!! I've been basically saving up money for Ian's and my trip to NYC in mid-December, so this is ultimately the reason why I haven't gone yet. But, as soon as I'm back from New York, I plan on going regularly like I have in past snow seasons...
If things go well I will progress in skill somewhat while not getting injured. One of my buddies in my regular snowboarding crew tore his ACL on a 20-foot tabletop jump last season so that kinda shook us all up. He recovered quite nicely and I admire him for his positive attitude and perserverance, however. It just shows you that it's all in the mind. I'm crossing my fingers for my full physical health.
Anyway, Happy belated Thanksgiving, everybody!! Well winter wishes, too... :)
*e