| Tiger Cafe | ||
Best | Links to Me | Blog News Links |
|
Home | Older pages
Med|Politics|Biotech|CS
Medicine
WebPath: Pathology
San Francisco Bay AreaPathology Links Medical Dictionary Clinical Pharm Review Drug Info Resources Medical Pharmacology Pharmacology Notebook Ron Rinehart's Drugs Page Tortora, Anatomy Cell Biology Book GASNet Anesthesiology Medical Biochemistry Medilexicon Metabolic Pathways, Biochem Microbiology Book Molec. Bio Guide Virtual Anesthesiology Textbook Free Medical Journals JAMA NEJM Anesthesiology Anesthesia & Analgesia Autopsy Report CRNA at Georgetown blog CRNA at USC blog DB's Medical Rants Interns' Diary MDapplicants.com Medlogs.com Non-Traditional Student Dr Jrnls RangelMD.com SOAP Notes: Natalie's Diary (Surgeon) Student Doctor Network Am. Soc. of Anesthesiologists CDC Duke PA Program Alumni Emerging Infectious Diseases Dr. Eugene Stead Free Medical Journals Harvard World Health News Medical Economics Medscape NCAHF NOVA (PBS) Occupational Outlook Handbook Physician Assistant World Primary Care Guide Quackwatch ScienceDaily Science Online Scientific American The Skeptic's Dictionary WHO Yahoo! Health News
Prof. Brad DeLong (Berkeley)
Asia/OceaniaCraig (founder of Craigslist) Duke (Oakland) Eric (SF) FitsandStarts (UCSF)* In Passing... (Berkeley) Prof. Larry Lessig (Stanford) Que Sera Sera SF Bay Area Journals SF Bay Bloggers Tessa
Alaysia (Sydney)
CanadaChina Blogs Christina1/C2/C3 (Nanjing) Ellen (Manila) John (Hangzhou) Kim Jong-Il (N. Korea) Patrick (Beijing) Unica Hija/Top 10 (Manila) Europe/Middle East
Emily (London)
MidwestJoyce (UK) Osama Bin Laden Saddam Hussein Stuart Hughes (BBC) (London) Supermodels/SALTYT (Paris) NY/DC/New England
All2Swift (Yale)
South/SouthwestBazima (NYC) Edie, dating blog (NYC) Gawker (NYC) Gothamist (NYC) Halley (Boston) Harvard Weblogs Jeff (New Jersey) Joe (Charlottesville, VA)* Josh/Cyan Pictures (NYC) Julie (cooking blog) (NYC) Prof. Paul Krugman (Princeton) Phineas (NYC)* Thea (Dartmouth) Ze's Blog (NYC) Southern California
Anna (San Diego)
OtherBich Ngoc (LA) Bill (LA) Charlie (San Diego) Jason (LA) Kaila1/Kaila2 (LA) Mark Kines (LA) Pamie (LA) Peggy (Orange County) Wil Wheaton (LA)
Best of Craigslist
NewsBreakup Girl Bunnie Damn Hell Ass Kings FuckedCompany HowStuffWorks Internalmemos Kuro5hin.org Mark Cuban Blog Metafilter PickUpYourOWNDamnSocks! Rabbit Blog Technorati Technorati Profile True Porn Clerk Stories
Salon.com
PoliticsYahoo! Full Coverage Google News New York Times Charlie Rose ![]() Commonwealth Club ![]() Conversations w/ History (Berkeley)Council on Foreign Relations C-SPAN ![]() Frontline (PBS) ![]() National Public Radio (NPR) NewsHour (PBS) ![]() NOVA (PBS) ![]() Rice Univ. Webcasts ![]() World Affairs Council ![]() Agence France-Presse AlterNet Ananova Asia Times Online Associated Press Atlantic Monthly BBC News Brookings Institution Business 2.0 BusinessWeek CBS MarketWatch CNN CNN/Money Council on Foreign Relations The Economist Financial Times Forbes Foreign Affairs Fortune Globe and Mail The Guardian/The Observer The Guardian Weblog Inc The Independent Investor's Business Daily Le Monde diplomatique Los Angeles Times Mother Jones New Yorker NY Times Magazine New York Review of Books Newsweek NOW Bill Moyers Poynter Reuters San Francisco Chronicle San Jose Mercury News Scientific American Slate South China Morning Post Time The Times Wall St. Journal OpinionJournal United Nations News United Press International U.S. Congress (THOMAS) U.S. State Department Washington Monthly Washington Post Wired World Sex News Yahoo! Finance Yahoo! News YaleGlobal
Adam Felber
EntertainmentAir America Radio ![]() Daily Kos Eric Alterman Eschaton The Gadflyer Howard Dean John Kerry Michael Moore MoveOn.org PollingReport Scott Rosenberg (SF) This Modern World Whitehouse.org
Metacritic
SoftwareOnline Film Critics Society Yummy Women Yahoo! Movies AskMen.com AtomFilms Crime Library Daily Show Jon Stewart ![]() David Letterman ![]() Drew's Script-O-Rama Eric Conveys an Emotion Esquire Great American Speeches Greg (movie making) Hollywood Reporter Hong Kong Entertainment How to Write Drama IFilm Joe Frank ![]() Loveline (Adam & Dr. Drew) movieblog The Onion Roger Avary (film blog) SalsaCrazy Screenwriting (Daniel Knauf) Screenwriters Utopia The Smoking Gun Stupid Movie Physics Supermodels (SALTYT) Television Without Pity Tom Cruise|TC 2 Variety View Askew (Kevin Smith) Virtual Producer Ze's Page
OraclePower Tutorials
BiotechEverything Oracle dBforums Oracle Mag Oracle Tech Network VisualRoute (traceroute) Microsoft Developer Network Microsoft .NET Sun Java Page Sun Java Documentation Java Dev. Journal Alan Williamson (JDJ editor) Dave Winer Prof. David Eppstein Prof. Jon Pearce M. Fowler (Refactoring) Computerworld Discuss.Develop.com Game Programming IBM alphaWorks IBM developerWorks Mathtools.net OpenGL Robocode (IBM, Java) Slashdot TopCoder W3C Activities W3Schools Tutorials Webmonkey
NCBI
Bioinformatics.Org Bay Area Bioinf Disc Gp O'Reilly Bioinf Stanford Guide to Bioinf Bioinf Courses (BioTech) Google Bioinformatics Google Bioinf Journals Google Medical Inf Intl Soc Comp Bio Science Online Public Lib. of Sci Bio S*Star Online Lectures Stanford Comp. Molec Bio Stanford Comp. Genomics Stanford Microarray DB UCSC Bioinformatics * New links |
Saturday, November 23, 2002
Say Hi to Stephanie!
Hi. I'm new here, and a little unsure of what to write. "Write just like you normally do," Raymond said, and I thought, "Okay. What do I normally do?" The only answer I can think of is, I ramble. About Los Angeles. And my family. And my dreams of being a superhero. Um, yeah. So anyway...
I woke up this morning and decided to post. Not right away. I looked out the window and saw a sliver of grey sky between the buildings, with a hint of blue behind it. I wondered if it would be foggy up in the canyons, and if I should get out of bed and rush through the Sepulveda Pass to the valley to go hiking in my favorite weather. But I was going at 11 with a friend, who I haven't seen all week. I had just been dreaming that she was dating a guy I like, and I had to accept that, in the dream. I decided not to go hiking early, but to wait till 11 for our planned excursion. I was disturbed by the dream. So I thought about going to the beach. I pictured myself seated on a bench on the cliff above the water in Santa Monica, reading The Fellowship of the Ring, which I have not read since I was 10, and snacking on a cranberry muffin from Barnes & Noble, shivering a little bit in the cool air. No -- I would be rushing then, watching the clock and not focusing on the book or the waves rolling onto the beach or the muffin or the air, but on the fact that I had just half an hour to get to the valley or I would be late. So I heated some butternut squash soup and booted up the computer and sat down to write something here. I am 26. I feel older, younger, or both at once, depending on the circumstances. I feel the time slipping away when I could stand outside in the rain and stare up at the sky and laugh because the wind just felt so good whipping through me. I have been at my full-time job for two years -- by far a record for me -- and I am finally enjoying it. I wonder if I am getting complacent. I live in Los Angeles. I moved here on November 13, 2000. I recently looked at apartments and realized mine is larger and homier than anything else I could get within my price range in my neighborhood. I am lucky. I am learning to eat well. I still want to dye my hair bright blue, if only to see what it looks like. I cannot do this while I am at my current job. I write TV spec scripts in my spare time. I do well in contests, but have not won any yet. I get a kick out of walking to the corner store. I need more time alone than most people. This irritates most other people I know. I like to draw. I drink a lot of water, and hot water mixed with lime juice. I like limes better than lemons. I will never get through my reading list. I love the high I get from watching a good movie or listening to great music. I have a time management problem. I dream of spending four months a year in L.A., four in New Zealand and four in Massachusetts. Chicago is a good city, too. I miss the snow. Most of the year, I miss the rain. I love the variety in the L.A. landscape -- there are mountains and coastlines and canyons and lakes all within the city limits. Sometimes, you don't even know you're in a city. I don't like how you have to drive everywhere. The roads are great on Sunday morning, when you can get anywhere in 20 minutes. Saturday sucks because everyone is trying to get somewhere. On Sunday they all sleep. My favorite coffee house is on Sunset near Crescent Heights Boulevard. It is called "Coffee House" and has good food, too. I miss caffeine but feel much better without it. I smile a lot. I stare into space. I like to play chess. I'm pretty weird, but I'm happy to be here.
|