Tiger Cafe     
    

Saturday, November 02, 2002


Poets You Like

From RBJ,

Belle wrote: Lifted from one of my poems. Just wanna share these with you.

Unrequited Love, by Belle

i drop a star,
it
f
a
l
l
s
slivering
at his hands
in my whispered breath
the full moon bleeds
covered
in dark-grey clouds,
weeping
with me.
i seldom find
a broken hope repaired
now,
my star
lay
s h a t t e r e d
at his feet.
______________________
Hey Belle, I like this poem! *CLAP* Like the visual effect. Did you write it while standing in a narrow phone booth? Looks like it.

I like various poets, especially funny ones. The ratio of depressing to funny poems is like 95:5. When I try to write my own poems, I usually make them rhyme and funny.

A favorite high school poem:

Pied Beauty, by Gerard Manley Hopkins

Glory be to God for dappled things--

For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced--fold, fallow, and plough;
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.
All things counter, original, spare, strange;

Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

My favorite funny poet: Ogden Nash! Here's my old poetry page with more of his poems.

I Do, I Will, I Have, by Ogden Nash

How wise I am to have instructed the butler to instruct the first footman to instruct the second footman to instruct the doorman to order my carriage;
I am about to volunteer a definition of marriage.
Just as I know that there are two Hagens, Walter and Copen,
I know that marriage is a legal and religious alliance entered into by a man who can't sleep with the window shut and a woman who can't sleep with the window open.
Moreover, just as I am unsure of the difference between flora and fauna and flotsam and jetsam,
I am quite sure that marriage is the alliance of two people one of whom never remembers birthdays and the other never forgetsam,
And he refuses to believe there is a leak in the water pipe or the gas pipe and she is convinced she is about to asphyxiate or drown,
And she says Quick get up and get my hairbrushes off the windowsill, it's raining in, and he replies Oh they're all right, it's only raining straight down.
That is why marriage is so much more interesting than divorce,
Because it's the only known example of the happy meeting of the immovable object and the irresistible force.
So I hope husbands and wives will continue to debate and combat over everything debatable and combatable,
Because I believe a little incompatibility is the spice of life, particularly if he has income and she...is pattable.

A Word to Husbands, by Ogden Nash

To keep your marriage brimming,
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you're wrong, admit it;
Whenever you're right, shut up.

A Lady Thinks She Is Thirty, by Ogden Nash

Unwillingly Miranda wakes,
Feels the sun with terror,
One unwilling step she takes,
Shuddering to the mirror.

Miranda in Miranda's sight
Is old and gray and dirty;
Twenty-nine she was last night;
This morning she is thirty.

Shining like the morning star,
Like the twilight shining,
Haunted by a calendar,
Miranda is a-pining.

Silly girl, silver girl,
Draw the mirror toward you;
Time who makes the years to whirl
Adorned as he adored you.

Time is timelessness for you;
Calendars for the human;
What's a year, or thirty, to
Loveliness made woman?

Oh, Night will not see thirty again,
Yet soft her wing, Miranda;
Pick up your glass and tell me, then--
How old is Spring, Miranda?

As you'd probably guess, I'm not a fan of Sylvia Plath.


Home