Tiger Cafe     
    

Saturday, August 31, 2002


"What was it about your significant other or love-of-your-life (so far) that really grabbed you and made you at least hope they were The One..."

This one has me fairly stumped. I can't say that my response is entirely on-topic, but as I haven't posted here in a while, I'll just spew some quasi-relevant verbiage out here for a little bit. I love my boyfriend, Jon, and we've been dating for two years (and five months tomorrow), but I can't really remember any one time when I thought, "He's The One." It was like it was always assumed from the start, that he was perfect for me, and it was just a matter of getting comfortable together. Before we started dating, we were friends for a few years so we knew each other really well, and we related really well because we both had the same sense of humor. Basically, it just took a couple years of high school for us to get up the guts to move on from being "just friends". I think the moment that started it all was one time when we were at the rock gym, we were up in a little bouldering room called The Cave. We were playing a game of add-on, and I was complaining about how I was so bad at bouldering because I was so weak and small. And he told me I was beautiful - well, he said that the way I moved and climbed was beautiful - and while he was saying it, he just looked me straight in the eye, a very unnerving moment, and I didn't know what to do but laugh. Later on, we would be lying down and relaxing on the crash pads and he'd continue filling my ear with sweet-climbing-related-nothings, and you know, a few trips to the gym later, we were considered a couple. So the lesson here is, make sure you date someone who you can safely belay. No, no, that's not the lesson. The transition from friends to couple is weird - because you're used to sitting around and shooting the shit and just being goofy and having fun - and then you're just amazed to find out that you can rely on each other for everything, and so much affection. I just think that it's terrific that we could be friends for so long beforehand, and come to really respect and trust each other, and then find out that the capacity for those kinds of feelings is so much greater than you ever thought. Yeah. He's going away to college tomorrow so I'm getting sentimental. /End mushiness.



Home