Tiger Cafe     
    

Wednesday, August 07, 2002


Knock, knock. Hello? It’s been quiet around here lately.

What with our creator taking a leave of absence, some writers leaving and yet others (me) being too caught up in our own lives, this page feels a little lonely.

I’ve had quite a bit going on. And this time in a rather good way. Very quickly, I almost broached the subject of a relationship but pulled back before I let myself get embroiled in an another sticky mess. (Thank God for my sane mind and ability to be alone, not always half of a pair). But I’m left with a good friend, someone to help me make my days here a little more meaningful.

I spent an inspiring, rejuvenating weekend, reuniting with my best girl friends from college. For the first time in 3 years, I realized that any petty scraps we’d had, any barriers I still put up with them were gone. And all I felt was an amazing calm, a perfect connection with the people who knew me at my worst and still loved me, with the people I’d spent 4 of my most defining years. The myriad of memories we have seem unattianable now with anyone else and I’m left in a sort of funk – unwilling to adjust to the thought of having anyone else in my life except these few perfect soulmates.

What I marveled at is the fact that we’d each gone our separate ways in those 3 years; each chosen different vocations, each had different trials come our way – death, break ups, moves to new countries and cities. But somehow, when we were together, we were all the same people we’d been before. It was so ... EASY. I needed no inhibitions around these people, no uncomfortable silences, no readjusting my wavelength to suit theirs. It was, well, it was like being with family.

It’s taken me several tragedies, a whole year of feeling out of place and a lot of growing up. But I’ve finally come to truly appreciate the friends I’d been blessed with when I first stepped onto Cornell’s grounds. Ok, I’ve just made myself all melancholy and emotional again. I need to go write these girlies and tell them exactly how much I love and appreciate them.

In the meanwhile, I hope it doesn’t get too lonely here. In a way, we’re all searching for that connection again. And perhaps this page can be our stepping stone to that.

Lates people .




Home