Tiger Cafe     
    

Wednesday, August 21, 2002


I'm adding this awesome couple to my link list. Know them from their witty discussions on RBJ. They are set to marry May 2003. Let me present the delightful:

- Raven and
- Mona! (Here's Mona's other website.)

I've chatted with Raven before. He works at Andersen's old consulting arm, Accenture. Mona has a big marketing background and used to work at Disney World in Florida.
They actually met on Match.com!

Dave and Miyu started talking about depression on RBJ. Miyu, so young and alive as a professional dancer, says she was on anti-depressants for the first 6 months of this year. My reply:

Gosh, that's awful, Miyu-chan. I'm acquainted with the "black dog" of depression and know how debilitating it can be.

Too bad someone like you who is so young and alive would face that. I wish you a much smoother experience and better support next time around.

I agree with Rasee, Dave.

I think people who think too much can get more easily depressed. To avoid becoming the prisoner of our hyperactive minds, the best thing is to get totally physical.

Go swim 50 laps. (I've been swimming a lot this summer and it helps.) Clean someone's yard. Change a baby diaper. Use this time to learn how to install window blinds throughout the house.

Anything physical will make you so exhausted or involved you won't have time or space to think about depression. Plus you will feel that satisfaction of concrete accomplishment that makes you want to go out and tackle the world.

Thinking of the world as a sorry, hulking mess would sap anyone's good cheer. Think of it as a lot of bite-sized Almond Joy candy bars you have to swallow.


Home