Tiger Cafe     
    

Tuesday, July 02, 2002



Under God

I saw this excellent post by Scott on Rice Bowl Journals, and I just had to applaud!

From CNN: "For the first time ever, a federal appeals court declared the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional Wednesday because of the words 'under God' added by Congress in 1954. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the phrase amounts to a government endorsement of religion in violation of the Constitution's Establishment Clause, which requires a separation of church and state."

Oliver, this super religious guy who tried my patience in my big debate about Creationism vs. Evolution, made a point.

Scott replied to him:
__________________
Religious freedom doesn't mean anything at all if it means, as you imply, one MUST be religious. FREEDOM, is the key word here. Whether it truly exists or not is moot. It is the IDEAL that this country was founded upon. Implying that one must have a religion is not freedom in any way. I find this implication quite scary. But typical of someone who cannot understand any other lifestyle or belief system other than themselves.

To reiterate my previous post, no, I do not think it should be changed. Whether in a song or a dollar bill. Too silly and too costly. I do think it should be recognized that there are more people in this country than simply God-fearing ones.

While I appreciate the love and good-naturedness of some Christians, this complete intolerance of other beliefs whether religious or not is truly a discredit to your entire institution. I am just a layperson when it comes to religion, but is God really about intolerance? I would prefer a god about love without judgment.

As for our nation being under God ... according to the Taliban or a dozen other US-hating countries, God is on their side. Reconcile this, just for fun.

Sure they're wrong because they are the bad guys and they go to extremes and kill innocent people. But from over there, maybe they are saying the same thing about us. Maybe our Babewatch shows and "forceful" military presences and unknown "dark" activities on their Holy Lands are an insult to God in their eyes. Who's side is God really on?

Or should God be on anyone's side at all? Lot's of people say God Bless America, sure. That doesn't make it right. Everyone WANTS God on their side -- he's the MVP of the Universe! If God is on your side, then that's like the ultimate permission slip to do ANYTHING you want as long as you convince yourself God said so. Whether its stamping money or bombing buildings.

My point is, once you close your eyes and your mind to the thought that other worthy people just live and think differently than you (as in religious, non-religious, or lifestyle), then it is a very short road between that kind of intolerance and intolerance that somehow involves striking a blow, whether physical, social or political, because "God is on your side."

I would like to find a religion that preaches love, and only that for a change.

I tell you, one of the biggest deterrants I have about really "believing" is this sort of attitude some of the more zealous Christians have. I think if I continue reading the kind of responses I have been in this forum topic, I will change my mind about taking my son to church.

And I don't want to do that because I really like the people there. So instead, I will take my leave of here.

Debates are like masturbation. Except with masturbation, at least you are feeling the love.
__________________
YEAH baby! One reason I love having a website is that I can put all my religious views there and just say "see page 6, section 666" when people try to proselytize me. All I would add is this quote from my religion page:

It is much easier to say we love an abstract, perfect Being than to demonstrate tolerance, open-mindedness, forgiveness, and caring for the flawed people we must live with every day. People may give lip service to the Good Samaritan but refuse to even say hi to homeless people because they are dirty. They may become insufferable, holier-than-thou. Everyone admires a new mansion, but few want to see the possibilities in an abandoned shack. As Ella Wheeler Wilcox wrote:
So many gods, so many creeds,
So many paths that wind and wind,
While just the art of being kind
Is all the sad world needs.
I agree with the Bible's guides to our daily conduct because from my experience they are practical. Thus I try them out and modify them as needed; they are difficult enough to live up to. However, I don't know enough to become dogmatic. As someone once prayed, "God, please make all the bad people good and all the good people nice." Until there is more connection between what Christians profess and what they do, I'll focus on the practice of trying to love my neighbor and let "religious" people handle the theory.


Home