Posted 8:52 AM
by Blah blah
The Shear Stress of Our Love
From RBJ, the topic:
Love Lessons.
Phil said:
"My heartbreaks have strengthened me emotionally - much like conditioning my shins by kicking a heavy bag. The micro fractures caused by the impact heal to make my shins tougher.
Though much like my shins, my emotions have since numbed a bit and my feelings are no longer as extreme. While I feel emotionally stronger and less prone to the extremities of heartbreak, I find myself no longer feeling the highs offered by deep infatuation and blind romance."
I was inspired to reply, Halo. REALLY really, Ellen! :D
___________
"Microfractures"? Sounds like you took materials science, Phil.
Here's my song for you:
The Shear Stress of Our Love
I am on the grain boundary,
Not knowin' whether to live or dieeee...,
My love has grown epitaxially,
And nobody knows how or whyyyyy...
I am developin' a "creep resistance"...
I've reached the limits of my lattice constraints.
My heart is up to 10% porosity,
All this torsion just ain't worth the paaaains!
I can't take more of this and just feel duuuumb,
We've gotta walk away to save us from
The shear stress of our looooove,
Oh BABY, yeah...the shear stress of our looooove!
[Goes wild on the electric guitar.]
(In looking up words for this poem, I found that materials science actually has a lot of
references to sex. Who would have known?)
Thus have I learned about love:
Talk not of wasted affection, affection never was wasted.
If it enrich not the heart of another, its waters, returning
Back to their springs, like the rain, still fill them full of refreshment;
That which the fountain sends forth returns again to the fountain.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, "Evangeline" (pt. II, st. 1)