Posted 8:17 AM
by Blah blah
Korean Soap Operas
Whoa!
Christine in Taipei just started
blogging! She sounds like a Dalai Lama/Jack Welch-type here.
She
wrote:
I never understood why Korean Soap Operas (dubbed in Mandarin) have become all the rage in Taiwan until I sat down and watched an episode this past weekend.
Turns out that the men on the show act like men, and the women on the show act like women.
This is vastly different from Taiwanese Soap Operas in which the men act like women, and the women act like little girls.
Now I understand.
God, those Taiwanese women in the soap operas can be hella annoying. Beautiful, but annoying. We get Korean and Taiwanese soap operas here in the Bay Area, so I echo her comment. One Taiwanese episode I glimpsed, a woman who was about to get married was talking to her parents. She began wailing like a car-struck fire hydrant, her mom began blubbering, and the two sang a little crying duet that lasted maybe two minutes! People didn't cry this much before Mel Gibson got his head chopped off in
Braveheart!
Gimme a break. Which is maybe why some women I met in Taiwan turned out to be 30 but acted 22.