Tiger Cafe     
    

Thursday, July 04, 2002


I just swam 50 laps tonight. Whew...I'm getting stronger and feel great!

Cyn started a thread on RBJ about what books you read as a kid. Here's my 2nd answer:

Hi Cyn!
Yeah, I was SUCH a bookworm. Since my sibling is much younger than I, for a long time I was an only child, so books were some of my major companions.

I read The Hobbit when I was about 8 or 9.

I read The Lord of the Rings trilogy when I was 13 (junior high) and in bed for two weeks with chicken pox. I felt too itchy to sleep, so I just read and read. For me, Tolkien and chicken pox are forever linked!

It's funny how my mom, who isn't very good in English, taught my brother and I to read. We first started reading by looking at the Yellow Pages! Yup, the phone book. She taught us to recognize the logos, so my brother and I would both see a sign on the street and yell out things like "TO-YO-TA!" before we were two years old.

I swear, I'm gonna make my kids read the Yellow Pages too. This absolutely works.


Home