Tiger Cafe     
    

Wednesday, July 10, 2002



Doing Work You Love

I very much liked this article on Ellen's blog, on what kind of work we should do:
I remember several years ago when I was intent upon building my reputation as a sculptor. I took a job driving a cab, because, as I told people, "I want some job that I will never confuse with a rofession." Yet within six months, I was talking like a cab driver, thinking like a cab driver, looking at the world through the eyes of a cab driver. My anecdotes came from my job, as did my observations about life. I became embroiled in the personalities and politics of the company for which I worked and developed the habits and rhythms of life that went along with my all- night driving shift. On the days when I did not drive and instead worked on my sculpture, I still carried the consciousness of a cab driver with me.

Whether I liked it or not, I was a cab driver. This happens to anyone who takes a job. Even if you hate a job and keep a distance from it, you are defining yourself in opposition to the job by resisting it. By giving the job your time, you are giving it your consciousness. And it will, in turn, fill your life with the reality that it presents. Many eople ignore this fact. They choose a profession because it seems exciting, or because they can make a lot of money, or because it has some prestige in their minds. They commit themselves to their work, but slowly find themselves feeling restless and empty. The time they have to spend on their work begins to hang heavy on their hands, and soon they feel constricted and trapped. They join the legions of humanity who Thoreau said lead lives of quiet desperation - unfulfilled, unhappy and uncertain of what to do.


Very profound Ellen! And inspiring. If you have the time and chance, I'd say give what you love a shot. Now is a great time to do so. I feel like I've made some dumb mistakes with my job choices. I know exactly what the author means by feeling chained to a job.

The last year and a half I've felt numb and dead with respect to my job. I was feeling depressed and listless. I wish you can avoid that. I hope now I can aim more carefully and take bold steps towards activities that I REALLY care about. Cross your fingers for me and you.

What job are you interviewing for? I think ideally, you want to be an announcer or journalist and work in broadcasting, right? Good luck, lady!

Take a look at this post I wrote last year, about Viewing Work as a Craft. Thought-provoking as well.


Home