Tiger Cafe     
    

Friday, July 19, 2002


Dental Eureka

I'm going to the dentist today. In that spirit I print this post by Halo, so you know more about what kind of talented, intelligent people you are reading here:

"i just discovered for the first time the other day that you can open up a box of dental floss. i never knew that. i know, this is really stupid. but it was a Discovery, damnit! :)

it was the first time i lost the end of my floss. it vanished inside the little box and i was staring at it and thinking, "Oh. Great. Now what?!" and i was just starting to laugh when something made me try to pry it open.

i was completely taken by surprise when the front of the box just opened up perfectly easily. i should have guessed that the companies would have prepared for this sort of situation.

heh :)"

All of the people who have been staring at that broccoli in your teeth, day in and day out, thank you.

Reminds me of the time I was helping this scientist girl move to an apartment. She was a biologist who had graduated from Beijing University, gotten her PhD from Duke, and worked as a research assistant at UC San Francisco studying eyeballs. I was carrying a box of her stuff to my car:

Me: Boy, this box is big. Let's take this through the garage instead of the front door.
She: Well I don't think we can open the garage door. We need a key or something.
Me: Let's see...[goes into garage, pushes the button, and door opens]. Like that!
She: WOW! How did you do that?
Me: [scratches head] Haven't you ever opened the garage door?
She: I never tried it. I always just use the front door. That's incredible!
Me: I'll say [shakes head]. How long have you been renting a room in this house?
She: Oh, a few months.

(When I went into her bedroom, by the way, she had barely packed and hadn't even unhooked her computer. She ended up throwing a lot of her clothes in big plastic bags and putting a partially opened bottle of soy sauce into my car, which spilled over the foot rug.) The types of women I meet! And yeah, she was older.


Home