| Tiger Cafe | ||
Best | Links to Me | Blog News Links |
|
Home | Older pages
Med|Politics|Biotech|CS
Medicine
WebPath: Pathology
San Francisco Bay AreaPathology Links Medical Dictionary Clinical Pharm Review Drug Info Resources Medical Pharmacology Pharmacology Notebook Ron Rinehart's Drugs Page Tortora, Anatomy Cell Biology Book GASNet Anesthesiology Medical Biochemistry Medilexicon Metabolic Pathways, Biochem Microbiology Book Molec. Bio Guide Virtual Anesthesiology Textbook Free Medical Journals JAMA NEJM Anesthesiology Anesthesia & Analgesia Autopsy Report CRNA at Georgetown blog CRNA at USC blog DB's Medical Rants Interns' Diary MDapplicants.com Medlogs.com Non-Traditional Student Dr Jrnls RangelMD.com SOAP Notes: Natalie's Diary (Surgeon) Student Doctor Network Am. Soc. of Anesthesiologists CDC Duke PA Program Alumni Emerging Infectious Diseases Dr. Eugene Stead Free Medical Journals Harvard World Health News Medical Economics Medscape NCAHF NOVA (PBS) Occupational Outlook Handbook Physician Assistant World Primary Care Guide Quackwatch ScienceDaily Science Online Scientific American The Skeptic's Dictionary WHO Yahoo! Health News
Prof. Brad DeLong (Berkeley)
Asia/OceaniaCraig (founder of Craigslist) Duke (Oakland) Eric (SF) FitsandStarts (UCSF)* In Passing... (Berkeley) Prof. Larry Lessig (Stanford) Que Sera Sera SF Bay Area Journals SF Bay Bloggers Tessa
Alaysia (Sydney)
CanadaChina Blogs Christina1/C2/C3 (Nanjing) Ellen (Manila) John (Hangzhou) Kim Jong-Il (N. Korea) Patrick (Beijing) Unica Hija/Top 10 (Manila) Europe/Middle East
Emily (London)
MidwestJoyce (UK) Osama Bin Laden Saddam Hussein Stuart Hughes (BBC) (London) Supermodels/SALTYT (Paris) NY/DC/New England
All2Swift (Yale)
South/SouthwestBazima (NYC) Edie, dating blog (NYC) Gawker (NYC) Gothamist (NYC) Halley (Boston) Harvard Weblogs Jeff (New Jersey) Joe (Charlottesville, VA)* Josh/Cyan Pictures (NYC) Julie (cooking blog) (NYC) Prof. Paul Krugman (Princeton) Phineas (NYC)* Thea (Dartmouth) Ze's Blog (NYC) Southern California
Anna (San Diego)
OtherBich Ngoc (LA) Bill (LA) Charlie (San Diego) Jason (LA) Kaila1/Kaila2 (LA) Mark Kines (LA) Pamie (LA) Peggy (Orange County) Wil Wheaton (LA)
Best of Craigslist
NewsBreakup Girl Bunnie Damn Hell Ass Kings FuckedCompany HowStuffWorks Internalmemos Kuro5hin.org Mark Cuban Blog Metafilter PickUpYourOWNDamnSocks! Rabbit Blog Technorati Technorati Profile True Porn Clerk Stories
Salon.com
PoliticsYahoo! Full Coverage Google News New York Times Charlie Rose ![]() Commonwealth Club ![]() Conversations w/ History (Berkeley)Council on Foreign Relations C-SPAN ![]() Frontline (PBS) ![]() National Public Radio (NPR) NewsHour (PBS) ![]() NOVA (PBS) ![]() Rice Univ. Webcasts ![]() World Affairs Council ![]() Agence France-Presse AlterNet Ananova Asia Times Online Associated Press Atlantic Monthly BBC News Brookings Institution Business 2.0 BusinessWeek CBS MarketWatch CNN CNN/Money Council on Foreign Relations The Economist Financial Times Forbes Foreign Affairs Fortune Globe and Mail The Guardian/The Observer The Guardian Weblog Inc The Independent Investor's Business Daily Le Monde diplomatique Los Angeles Times Mother Jones New Yorker NY Times Magazine New York Review of Books Newsweek NOW Bill Moyers Poynter Reuters San Francisco Chronicle San Jose Mercury News Scientific American Slate South China Morning Post Time The Times Wall St. Journal OpinionJournal United Nations News United Press International U.S. Congress (THOMAS) U.S. State Department Washington Monthly Washington Post Wired World Sex News Yahoo! Finance Yahoo! News YaleGlobal
Adam Felber
EntertainmentAir America Radio ![]() Daily Kos Eric Alterman Eschaton The Gadflyer Howard Dean John Kerry Michael Moore MoveOn.org PollingReport Scott Rosenberg (SF) This Modern World Whitehouse.org
Metacritic
SoftwareOnline Film Critics Society Yummy Women Yahoo! Movies AskMen.com AtomFilms Crime Library Daily Show Jon Stewart ![]() David Letterman ![]() Drew's Script-O-Rama Eric Conveys an Emotion Esquire Great American Speeches Greg (movie making) Hollywood Reporter Hong Kong Entertainment How to Write Drama IFilm Joe Frank ![]() Loveline (Adam & Dr. Drew) movieblog The Onion Roger Avary (film blog) SalsaCrazy Screenwriting (Daniel Knauf) Screenwriters Utopia The Smoking Gun Stupid Movie Physics Supermodels (SALTYT) Television Without Pity Tom Cruise|TC 2 Variety View Askew (Kevin Smith) Virtual Producer Ze's Page
OraclePower Tutorials
BiotechEverything Oracle dBforums Oracle Mag Oracle Tech Network VisualRoute (traceroute) Microsoft Developer Network Microsoft .NET Sun Java Page Sun Java Documentation Java Dev. Journal Alan Williamson (JDJ editor) Dave Winer Prof. David Eppstein Prof. Jon Pearce M. Fowler (Refactoring) Computerworld Discuss.Develop.com Game Programming IBM alphaWorks IBM developerWorks Mathtools.net OpenGL Robocode (IBM, Java) Slashdot TopCoder W3C Activities W3Schools Tutorials Webmonkey
NCBI
Bioinformatics.Org Bay Area Bioinf Disc Gp O'Reilly Bioinf Stanford Guide to Bioinf Bioinf Courses (BioTech) Google Bioinformatics Google Bioinf Journals Google Medical Inf Intl Soc Comp Bio Science Online Public Lib. of Sci Bio S*Star Online Lectures Stanford Comp. Molec Bio Stanford Comp. Genomics Stanford Microarray DB UCSC Bioinformatics * New links |
Thursday, May 02, 2002
Wow! Great news! Myanmar Opposition Aung San Suu Kyi May be Released From House Arrest. Imagine, this Burmese Nobel Peace Prize winner has been under house arrest, with her phone line cut, since Sept. 2000. She's been unable to see her husband and family since then, who live in Britain. Crossing my fingers...
Report: Clinton Discussing Own TV Talk Show (Reuters). Clinton as Oprah? Probably this is pure fiction, but I can just imagine what a Clinton talk show would be like. Part Charlie Rose, part Oprah, and part Howard Stern. I.B.M. Chairman Lines Up a Book Deal for Himself (NY Times) I'm adding another artistic writer to my list: Elen of * The Space I'm In *. She's a Filipina girl who lives in Vienna, Austria, married to a Viennese guy. Found her from RBJ and just from the "look" alone of her site, with the serif font, I can tell she's cool writer! Again, she's with Diaryland. Why does Diaryland have a tendency to attract some of the best online writers?? Someone please tell me. My Favorite Movies I was slacking off again, visiting Rice Bowl Journals' forum on classic movies. Here's my post: Hey everyone! This looks like THE place to hang out! I so rarely meet young people who like old movies, and when I talk about Cary Grant they'll say..."Oh, he's related to Keanu right?" Scott, you are funny! I guess when Frosty the Snowman melts, that's considered a "summer blockbuster." V, I see why we have this online connection now. We like so many similar movies! "Bringing Up Baby"---YES YES YES!!! This Cary Grant/Katharine Hepburn pic is one of the funniest I've ever seen. And Superdk, you too. I like just about all on your list. I grew up watching classic movies without caring whether they were "classic" or not. They were just the best stuff out there and helped develop this super interest of mine in film. I liked to think of the people in classic films as representing my "ideal" America and the ones who helped inspire me with "American values" when I was growing up. Some favorites: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Ben-Hur (1959) Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962) Night of the Iguana (1964), plus... Top Hat (1935), Bringing Up Baby (1938), The Grapes of Wrath (1940), Pride and Prejudice (1940), Casablanca (1942), Now, Voyager (1942), Arsenic and Old Lace (1944), It's a Wonderful Life (1946), Rope (1948), On the Town (1949), Singin' in the Rain (1952), The Band Wagon (1953), Roman Holiday (1953), Rear Window (1954), Vertigo (1958 ), Inherit the Wind (1960), West Side Story (1961), my favorite musical, From Russia with Love (1963), the best James Bond movie, The Sound of Music (1965), The Lion in Winter (196 ), The Producers (1968), Sleuth (1972) More recent stuff I love: Gandhi (1982) Schindler's List (1993), plus... Superman (1978 ), The Elephant Man (1980), Tampopo (Japanese, 1986), Pretty Woman (1990), La Femme Nikita (French, 1991), Raise the Red Lantern (Chinese, 1991), Malcolm X (1992), Six Degrees of Separation (1993), Braveheart (1995), Amistad (1997), Anastasia (1997), The Rainmaker (1997), Shall We Dance? (Japanese, 1997), Gods and Monsters (1998 ), The Negotiator (1998 ). [Modern stuff I like: Saving Private Ryan (1998), The Truman Show (1998), American Beauty (1999), Blast from the Past (1999), The Thomas Crown Affair (1999), Bedazzled (2000), Gladiator (2000), The Tao of Steve (2000), Quills (2000), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), The Wedding Planner (2001), Shrek (2001), Memento (2001), A Beautiful Mind (2001)] From The Best Movie of 2001? I missed a lot of great movies last year. Of the ones I did see, "A Beautiful Mind" tops my list. As well as "Memento." Too bad I missed "Amelie." David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive" was quirky and didn't make sense, but the lesbian scene made it all worthwhile! Oh, I pretty much fell asleep during "In the Mood for Love." It was my first Wong Kar-wai movie (and maybe my last?) It LOOKED beautiful, but I would have rather watched lovely Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung in a fashion magazine, where I could turn the pages at leisure. It was excrutiatingly slow and the repetitive music annoyed me after the first 4 times. [Oh well, I gotta try one of Wong Kar-wai's faster movies, like "Chungking Express" (1994) with Tony Leung. What do you think of Wong Kar-Wai or Leslie Cheung? I just saw "He's a Woman, She's a Man" (1994) last weekend. It was funny/silly the way I like those cartoonish Hong Kong movies. About homosexuality. Anita Yuen, who pretended to be a man, was irritatingly childish. Because she looks so unglamorous in this picture, it was surprising to learn that she was Miss Hong Kong 1990. Since I grew up watching those American classics above, I have barely watched any Hong Kong films at all. It was my first time seeing Leslie Cheung in action, besides "Farewell My Concubine," (1993) and he is awesome! Carina Lau is a "real woman," very sexy. It's amazing to me how the Hong Kong scene seems to be the same few actors starring in movies over and over, in slightly different combinations. And they all seem to sing and date each other too! Carina Lau was living with Tony Leung. Leslie Cheung (who is rumored to be gay) has played some sexually ambivalent roles, as in "Farewell My Concubine." He had some big gay scenes with Tony Leung in "Happy Together" (1997), set in Argentina. Anita Mui was first known as the "Madonna of Hong Kong" for her singing career, before she became an action martial arts actress, starring with Jackie Chan in various films. (Last weekend I saw "The Enforcer," with her and Jet Li, and it's much better than any of Jet Li's American movies. I was especially impressed by Tse Miu, who plays Jet Li's kung fu master son who fights beside him. He's only a little kid, but he has presence and devastating kung fu skills. Tse Miu has a fantastic future ahead.)]
|