Posted 6:55 AM
by Blah blah
Pjammer started a thread called
"What is your Myers-Briggs personality type?" on
Rice Bowl Journals. Here's my answer. How about YOU?
________________________
Here's
my Myers-Briggs page.
A few years ago, I was so into this Jungian-like idea I made a Myers-Briggs spreadsheet and put many people I knew into it (and no, I won't show it to you). I tried to figure out patterns in whom I clicked with and didn't click with. I also listed fictional characters and entertainers I liked. Tried to see what characteristics attracted me. Then I tried to see if there was a relationship between people's type and their jobs. Found some interesting results!
All that said, I don't take this too seriously now. Here's what Robert Carroll, of the
Skeptic's Dictionary, thinks of
Myers-Briggs types.
It's just too hard to classify people. We really can flip our type 180 degrees if we are dealing with different kinds of people (our boss vs. our buddies) or are in particular situations. But I still like to play the "what type are you" game about random people and try to make predictions about them!
Mostly I'd say I prefer to live in the ENFP world, especially if I'm just relaxing. But duty calls and I try to work in the ENFJ and ENTJ world. When I write or experience something artistic, I can become an introvert, INFP. Normally, however, I'm very comfortable speaking in public and to strangers. When I'm programming or analyzing some emotional crisis, I become strongly logical, a T. On a date, however, it's FP, man!
Here's one place I have a big problem with trying to classify people with Myers-Briggs. I'm an extrovert, by Keirsey's definition. Yet I like to write and be sensitive and focus on something alone sometimes. According to Keirsey, it's almost as if you must be either an outgoing dufus with the EQ of Homer Simpson or you are a shy, sensitive empath---a Deanna Troi.
Well I am both Homer Simpson AND Deanna Troi smeared into one big sushi roll!
___________
Note: I took the
test they mention and came out as ENTP (slightly expressed extrovert, moderately expressed intuitive personality, slightly expressed thinking personality, and slightly expressed perceiving personality). I think I've gotten more introverted, less emotional, and more practical with time, actually. I wonder if my jobs have helped to change me. Hmmm...