| Tiger Cafe | ||
Best | Links to Me | Blog News Links |
|
Home | Older pages
Med|Politics|Biotech|CS
Medicine
WebPath: Pathology
San Francisco Bay AreaPathology Links Medical Dictionary Clinical Pharm Review Drug Info Resources Medical Pharmacology Pharmacology Notebook Ron Rinehart's Drugs Page Tortora, Anatomy Cell Biology Book GASNet Anesthesiology Medical Biochemistry Medilexicon Metabolic Pathways, Biochem Microbiology Book Molec. Bio Guide Virtual Anesthesiology Textbook Free Medical Journals JAMA NEJM Anesthesiology Anesthesia & Analgesia Autopsy Report CRNA at Georgetown blog CRNA at USC blog DB's Medical Rants Interns' Diary MDapplicants.com Medlogs.com Non-Traditional Student Dr Jrnls RangelMD.com SOAP Notes: Natalie's Diary (Surgeon) Student Doctor Network Am. Soc. of Anesthesiologists CDC Duke PA Program Alumni Emerging Infectious Diseases Dr. Eugene Stead Free Medical Journals Harvard World Health News Medical Economics Medscape NCAHF NOVA (PBS) Occupational Outlook Handbook Physician Assistant World Primary Care Guide Quackwatch ScienceDaily Science Online Scientific American The Skeptic's Dictionary WHO Yahoo! Health News
Prof. Brad DeLong (Berkeley)
Asia/OceaniaCraig (founder of Craigslist) Duke (Oakland) Eric (SF) FitsandStarts (UCSF)* In Passing... (Berkeley) Prof. Larry Lessig (Stanford) Que Sera Sera SF Bay Area Journals SF Bay Bloggers Tessa
Alaysia (Sydney)
CanadaChina Blogs Christina1/C2/C3 (Nanjing) Ellen (Manila) John (Hangzhou) Kim Jong-Il (N. Korea) Patrick (Beijing) Unica Hija/Top 10 (Manila) Europe/Middle East
Emily (London)
MidwestJoyce (UK) Osama Bin Laden Saddam Hussein Stuart Hughes (BBC) (London) Supermodels/SALTYT (Paris) NY/DC/New England
All2Swift (Yale)
South/SouthwestBazima (NYC) Edie, dating blog (NYC) Gawker (NYC) Gothamist (NYC) Halley (Boston) Harvard Weblogs Jeff (New Jersey) Joe (Charlottesville, VA)* Josh/Cyan Pictures (NYC) Julie (cooking blog) (NYC) Prof. Paul Krugman (Princeton) Phineas (NYC)* Thea (Dartmouth) Ze's Blog (NYC) Southern California
Anna (San Diego)
OtherBich Ngoc (LA) Bill (LA) Charlie (San Diego) Jason (LA) Kaila1/Kaila2 (LA) Mark Kines (LA) Pamie (LA) Peggy (Orange County) Wil Wheaton (LA)
Best of Craigslist
NewsBreakup Girl Bunnie Damn Hell Ass Kings FuckedCompany HowStuffWorks Internalmemos Kuro5hin.org Mark Cuban Blog Metafilter PickUpYourOWNDamnSocks! Rabbit Blog Technorati Technorati Profile True Porn Clerk Stories
Salon.com
PoliticsYahoo! Full Coverage Google News New York Times Charlie Rose ![]() Commonwealth Club ![]() Conversations w/ History (Berkeley)Council on Foreign Relations C-SPAN ![]() Frontline (PBS) ![]() National Public Radio (NPR) NewsHour (PBS) ![]() NOVA (PBS) ![]() Rice Univ. Webcasts ![]() World Affairs Council ![]() Agence France-Presse AlterNet Ananova Asia Times Online Associated Press Atlantic Monthly BBC News Brookings Institution Business 2.0 BusinessWeek CBS MarketWatch CNN CNN/Money Council on Foreign Relations The Economist Financial Times Forbes Foreign Affairs Fortune Globe and Mail The Guardian/The Observer The Guardian Weblog Inc The Independent Investor's Business Daily Le Monde diplomatique Los Angeles Times Mother Jones New Yorker NY Times Magazine New York Review of Books Newsweek NOW Bill Moyers Poynter Reuters San Francisco Chronicle San Jose Mercury News Scientific American Slate South China Morning Post Time The Times Wall St. Journal OpinionJournal United Nations News United Press International U.S. Congress (THOMAS) U.S. State Department Washington Monthly Washington Post Wired World Sex News Yahoo! Finance Yahoo! News YaleGlobal
Adam Felber
EntertainmentAir America Radio ![]() Daily Kos Eric Alterman Eschaton The Gadflyer Howard Dean John Kerry Michael Moore MoveOn.org PollingReport Scott Rosenberg (SF) This Modern World Whitehouse.org
Metacritic
SoftwareOnline Film Critics Society Yummy Women Yahoo! Movies AskMen.com AtomFilms Crime Library Daily Show Jon Stewart ![]() David Letterman ![]() Drew's Script-O-Rama Eric Conveys an Emotion Esquire Great American Speeches Greg (movie making) Hollywood Reporter Hong Kong Entertainment How to Write Drama IFilm Joe Frank ![]() Loveline (Adam & Dr. Drew) movieblog The Onion Roger Avary (film blog) SalsaCrazy Screenwriting (Daniel Knauf) Screenwriters Utopia The Smoking Gun Stupid Movie Physics Supermodels (SALTYT) Television Without Pity Tom Cruise|TC 2 Variety View Askew (Kevin Smith) Virtual Producer Ze's Page
OraclePower Tutorials
BiotechEverything Oracle dBforums Oracle Mag Oracle Tech Network VisualRoute (traceroute) Microsoft Developer Network Microsoft .NET Sun Java Page Sun Java Documentation Java Dev. Journal Alan Williamson (JDJ editor) Dave Winer Prof. David Eppstein Prof. Jon Pearce M. Fowler (Refactoring) Computerworld Discuss.Develop.com Game Programming IBM alphaWorks IBM developerWorks Mathtools.net OpenGL Robocode (IBM, Java) Slashdot TopCoder W3C Activities W3Schools Tutorials Webmonkey
NCBI
Bioinformatics.Org Bay Area Bioinf Disc Gp O'Reilly Bioinf Stanford Guide to Bioinf Bioinf Courses (BioTech) Google Bioinformatics Google Bioinf Journals Google Medical Inf Intl Soc Comp Bio Science Online Public Lib. of Sci Bio S*Star Online Lectures Stanford Comp. Molec Bio Stanford Comp. Genomics Stanford Microarray DB UCSC Bioinformatics * New links |
Monday, March 11, 2002
Autumn in New York
Thanks for your patience, guys. You might be wondering why I am talking about all this nonsense and avoiding my personal life. You are right. I should say more about the ordinary day-to-day huh? Well my day-to-day life is pretty unremarkable. I am pretty much dealing with school, work, and a car. Have an exam Wednesday and a Tic-Tac-Toe program to write for next Friday, which should be interesting. For the Tic-Tac-Toe class, the teacher is a young guy who just got his PhD and was at UCLA. Very cool and easy to talk to. He's set up everything so that we submit our homework only through the web, and his site will print this confirmation number page we keep. I like young professors because, like him, they still really care about explaining the full story to you. They don't get impatient with basic questions, and they try to really satisfy and encourage your curiosity. If you know me, you know I can be an endless bucket of questions if I really try. I usually don't, but one summer in high school I was in a medical program at Stanford, and one of the counselors there diagnosed me with a "question-comment imbalance." He bet me that I could not go through one whole day without asking a single question. He won! I'd meet new people at dinner where we were staying, and I was killing myself trying to get to know them but not say it in the form of a question. Sort of an anti-Jeopardy. "So, Mr. Smith, you ARE from Michigan and you DO some kinda back surgery. Yesss." "Ella, you are standing on your head and wishing to go have dinner, I know..." Work: I have this new software package my boss wants me to learn. Wants me to be in charge of taking care of the code for my group. Am working on that. Times are tight financially at IBM now, so we are kinda coasting right now, lying low and not trying anything really ambitious. Car: Basically I made a stupid stupid mistake. I bought a car recently and sold it back. Long story which I will not go into here. But that wasted lots of time and money and interfered with my life the last two to three weeks. This weekend: Did nothing. Stayed in. Saturday night my housemate took our leftovers from our fridge and whipped up this pho soup, with those umbrella mushrooms and a sour flavor. It was surprisingly good! I am so lazy and lucky. Then we watched this leftover DVD that his girlfriend refused to watch, Autumn in New York, with Richard Gere and Winona Ryder, directed by Joan Chen (her 2nd movie as director). I had read a lot of bad reviews about the movie, but hell I still wanted some pointers from Richard Gere, so Saturday night was two guys staying home watching a chick flick. Yap. Actually I liked the feel of the movie, even though the premise didn't make sense. The Chinese cinematographer, Changwei Gu, was one of the stars of the film, I'd say, making New York and the restaurants and snow and twinges of winter so romantic and otherworldly. He had also shot Farewell My Concubine. I was floating. Watching it was like savoring rich chocolate and knowing it's a guilty pleasure that you'll pay for later but not caring. Richard Gere, acting suprisingly similar to the personality he had in Pretty Woman, was my favorite character to watch. Surprisingly, despite her beauty, I just could not get myself to care about Winona Ryder. But Gere, who plays every pore of anguish and flicker of guilt to the back of the theater, really got me. I felt like he was more naked emotionally than Winona when she was naked physically. Athough the characters differed agewise by 26 years, it was more believeable than the Sean Connery-Catherine Zeta-Jones pairing in Entrapment. Gere just looks eternally boyish with his bright eyes and crinkly grin. (Here's a photo of Joan Chen and Changwei Gu.) Amazing how a couple of years ago, Liu and I had an argument about Autumn in New York that partially led to me not talking to her for a few weeks. She'd not liked this other movie I liked, The Tao of Steve, but instead she liked Autumn, which had gotten all the bad reviews. I know I know. Petty...that wasn't the only reason I was acting childish with her. I still remember I'd come over to visit her sister, who had made some dinner, and Liu just sat there uncharacteristically cold, with tight silent lips, a slouch, and ignoring me. Then she excused herself and went upstairs. Her sister and I did a double-take and looked at each other like: "what was that all about?" I stood at the bottom of the stairway, pleading in the same way Richard Gere does so well after he's been naughty, and got her to smile again.
That's my personal Autumn in New York.
|